TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Best filler to apply over gel coat?

88GT Guest

Default Best filler to apply over gel coat?

I have a fiber glass hood that I would like to avoid going through the gel coat as much as possible and needs alot of filler. So far Ive been removing most of it due to poor fit and tons of filler beeing needed, but a hood is a different story. I dont want to apply pollyester due to low build. Will marson adhere well? It adheres to paint.

I'd scuff it with 80 grit and apply polyester putty. If the irregularities are small you can use a more liquid filler like Easy Sand and if the problem is more severe I recommend using a polyester paste like Euro-Soft.

88GT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by admin
    I'd scuff it with 80 grit and apply polyester putty. If the irregularities are small you can use a more liquid filler like Easy Sand and if the problem is more severe I recommend using a polyester paste like Euro-Soft.
    Thanks. I just blocked the gel coat with 120 followed by 180 and primed. It blocked better than I thought. Nothing a little pollyester putty cant fill now.

I use Rage Gold & Extreme

88GT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ZRX61
    I use Rage Gold & Extreme
    I think Marson Platinum, and Platinum Plus are equivelent in consistancy. The imperfections are so minor that all I will need is polyester putty.
    Just wasnt sure what would adhere well to jel coat. Most of the other fiber glass parts Im installing were nowhere near ready for blocking, so I just took the jel coat off.
    Thanks guys

I thought you weren't supposed to remove the gel coat from fiberglass. For your purposes, why not try some slick sand?

88GT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jhowell
    I thought you weren't supposed to remove the gel coat from fiberglass. For your purposes, why not try some slick sand?
    I dont care for slick sand. Some fiberglass flares and extentions etc, fit so bad there was no need to leave the gel coat. The 2nd hood fit quite well and seemed to be molded much better that the 1st one I got. Much of the imperfections blocked out just by blocking the gel coat. I just primed, reblocked with 180 and reprimed again. At most I will have just a few small spots that need polly putty and spot primed and its ready

I dont care what kind of body filler you use because it all comes down to one thing. How well you prep the surface.

88GT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bodymanhelper
    I dont care what kind of body filler you use because it all comes down to one thing. How well you prep the surface.
    Prep consists of using the right product. The underlying products make a world of difference.
    you are wrong about one thing. The adhesive needs to have a coat of fiberglass filler under the plastic filler. The adhesive in between the sheet metal and the fiberglass. But this is a non issue at this point. The hood has been primed with no filler yet, other than putty to fill pinholes where I went through the jel coat.