TheCoatingStore.com

Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Attention Metal shapers - How to shape this metal where the rocker panel and wheelwhe

  1. #1

    Question Attention Metal shapers - How to shape this metal where the rocker panel and wheelwhe

    Good Morning,

    Please click on the link, scroll down to see the other photo https://imgur.com/gallery/DQY0M15

    What you see in the image is where the R.P and the wheelwell join, I am having difficulty trying to shape a piece of metal.

    The red area I can make a 90 bend, but the bottom area (green question mark ) I am not sure how to shape it as it overlaps.

    I couldnt even get the cardboard template right , worried how I will be able to shape this.

    Perhaps I have to make two pieces of metal?


    TELL ME WHAT TOOLS I NEED ( I have a butane torch, one general purpose dolly , rivet hammer )

    Thank you and have a great day!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    47,716

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Another Mazda story View Post
    Good Morning,

    Please click on the link, scroll down to see the other photo https://imgur.com/gallery/DQY0M15

    What you see in the image is where the R.P and the wheelwell join, I am having difficulty trying to shape a piece of metal.

    The red area I can make a 90 bend, but the bottom area (green question mark ) I am not sure how to shape it as it overlaps.

    I couldnt even get the cardboard template right , worried how I will be able to shape this.

    Perhaps I have to make two pieces of metal?


    TELL ME WHAT TOOLS I NEED ( I have a butane torch, one general purpose dolly , rivet hammer )

    Thank you and have a great day!
    Your have the right idea making it out of cardboard then transferring it to a piece of metal. I'd recommend covering the entire space with the metal by slicing and bending until it fits in the space then tacking or gluing it in place then use a good seam sealer to cover all of the cuts an seams. No special tools needed but you may need to make the patch a couple times before you're happy with it's fit.


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2022
    Posts
    24

    Default

    Im a beginner and Im also shaping some metal patches,You'll need several pieces ,find things around your shop like round pipe to bend the metal around.Even a soccer ball or something made of wood and the like can be used to force the metal around to make shapes.

    Good luck,hopefully your metal isnt too thick.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    Your have the right idea making it out of cardboard then transferring it to a piece of metal. I'd recommend covering the entire space with the metal by slicing and bending until it fits in the space then tacking or gluing it in place then use a good seam sealer to cover all of the cuts an seams. No special tools needed but you may need to make the patch a couple times before you're happy with it's fit.

    Thank you Len, what type of hammer do I need to shape the 22ga metal?

    https://contenti.com/resources/types...ithing-hammers

    Thanks

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    47,716

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Another Mazda story View Post
    Thank you Len, what type of hammer do I need to shape the 22ga metal?

    https://contenti.com/resources/types...ithing-hammers

    Thanks
    Here's a decent hammer set. My favorite type is the hammer in the center but this entire set is $67.33 plus shipping.


    Since this is not on our online store you would need to call 609-859-3670 to order it.

    Actually I just realized that set is in the online store and comes in a carrying case ..... LINK
    Last edited by Len; 10-26-2022 at 05:17 PM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Mesa, AZ
    Posts
    66

    Default

    I'm having a hard time trying to picture where the curves and bends are. Not to discourage you much, but you will have a very difficult time trying to make that section in one piece with the tools you list. The top half wouldn't be too difficult. The bottom piece needs to stretch in the middle where your question mark is and shrink around the edges.

    You are on the right track by trying to make a pattern. What does the other side look like? Does that side offer a better look at the shape? How about a picture of that side?

    Myke has the right idea of looking for something to help with the shaping.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •