TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: 1966 Chevelle Marina blue painting update

Default 1966 Chevelle Marina blue painting update

Hello all,
    I posted a few times this past spring and summer about painting my 66 Chevelle. I really appreciate all the help from everyone as I have learning so much here. This is my 2nd attempt shooting this chevelle after the 1st one was cut short due to so many scratches that were missed in the prep.

So I attempted to just paint the body shell, no doors or trunk lid or anything. I shot it with 3 coats of PPG DBU marina blue and 3 coats of PPG 2021 clear. No scratches, the body was straight as can be and 90% of the paint looked great! My mistakes were that I had quite a but of splotchyness/mottling of the metallics on the upper part of the 1/4 panel on both sides and pieces of hair that I think are under the clear on the roof. Things I can't let slide and need to fix. I obviously can't reshoot just those spots.

My plan is to sand the clear off and start again but not sure the method that would be best. I tried doing searches but I wanted to know the best way to get to the base make sure the panels are left straight. I wanted to take off as much of the clear as possible and not leave alot of product stacked up.

I guess I consider this a learning experience, an expensive one for sure but I want it to be right before I move on.

Any advice on this as far as grit sand paper and how much to sand. I've never done anything like this except color sanding which is way different.

Thanks Much

Corey

Removing the clear is a challenge, it's almost easier just to remove everything and start from the metal. If possible you could just scuff the clear then apply your color and clear. If you use an orbital sander to remove the clear it probably will leave the surface uneven.

When you apply your next base coat color be sure not to apply it too wet which can cause more mottling. Spray the metallic color more lightly but not too dry and apply it evenly. Metallic can tend to change color from wet to dry areas so be sure not to have wet spots at the end of your passes. When I spray I release the spray gun's trigger at the end of each pass then, as I bring the gun back I pull the trigger again. Practice this without paint in the gun so you get a feel for the technique.

Thanks Len,

I don't have a lot of material on the body shell (roof, quarter panels) that I do on the doors and fenders and hood, so scuffing and shooting again may be the best option. I was worried about sanding the clear down and making the body uneven. I was really happy with the way the body turned out and I don't want to screw that up.

So would I hand sand it like I'm color sanding it with maybe a 400 or 600 until it's not glossy anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by chopperroxie View Post
    Thanks Len,

I don't have a lot of material on the body shell (roof, quarter panels) that I do on the doors and fenders and hood, so scuffing and shooting again may be the best option. I was worried about sanding the clear down and making the body uneven. I was really happy with the way the body turned out and I don't want to screw that up.

So would I hand sand it like I'm color sanding it with maybe a 400 or 600 until it's not glossy anymore?
    Yes, that''s exactly right, sand it with some 600 wet then apply your paint.

Default DBU?

Are you sure it was PPG DBU? PPG discontinued their DBU line about 5 years ago. Maybe it's DBC? I'm curious if you ran into a problem with an older product.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronf View Post
    Are you sure it was PPG DBU? PPG discontinued their DBU line about 5 years ago. Maybe it's DBC? I'm curious if you ran into a problem with an older product.

Yes, you're right, it was DBC. Sorry about that. I was really happy with the way the base covered and looked. Expensive but definitely worth it.

take care when you sand the clear so you don't burn through. there's risk of lifting at the transition if the base wasn't hardened.
    b marler

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    take care when you sand the clear so you don't burn through. there's risk of lifting at the transition if the base wasn't hardened.

Thanks for the advice. I did burn through at the edges a little bit, and some spots on the roof. 3 spots not really big. Should I spray a sealer coat over it before I put base down again?

Thanks for the advice. I did burn through at the edges a little bit, and some spots on the roof. 3 spots not really big. Should I spray a sealer coat over it before I put base down again?
    there's a couple of things you can try. whatever method you use, go extremely light on the first pass.
    some people just dust on some base. after you dust on a couple of coats and there's no lifting, you can shoot for color/hiding.
    some people will lightly coat with clear to seal the area. a couple of light coats usually does the job.
    you could use regular sealer too, but then it's harder to get the color right compared to the surrounding area.
    b marler

If we had used a base coat color that had an activator/hardener mixed with it we would just spray more base over the spots then clear them. However if we used a base that didn't have a hardener mixed with it we would do like bmarler said and seal it with clear, allow it to harden then scuff it lightly and apply our base and clear on top.

Thanks guys. I will shoot some clear over the spots as suggested.