TheCoatingStore.com

Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Good Alternative for panel bond?

  1. #1

    Question Good Alternative for panel bond?

    Good Afternoon,

    I am doing some bodywork on my car, I did the wheel arches in 2020 and much to my shock and horror the rust came back.

    I am planning on redoing the traditional process of grinding it out, and bondoing it up.

    However, since the metal must be wearing thin, I most likely would need a welding substitute.

    Welding is not an option, so I am looking at something like Panelbond, however panelbond requires an expensive gun.

    **Does anyone know what is a worthy substitute for Panelbond**? (ie one where I do not need the gun)

    I'm doing the wheel arch area on a Protege.

    Also 2) does anyone know what the best substitute for POR15 is?

    Thank you and God Bless

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    olympia,wa
    Posts
    2,113

    Default

    Rust has to be completely removed, and the cause dealt with or it will come back. No exceptions. When you did the arches before, did you need to remove and replace metal? Did you treat the area with anything like picklex-20?
    Epoxy primer?
    Explain what your process was and maybe we can help you do a lasting repair.
    b marler

  3. #3

    Question

    Yeah but I'm asking what is a good alternative to Panelbond and Welding?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Boring Oregon
    Posts
    5,332

    Default

    There is no other way of adding material other than welding or bonding.
    LET'S GO DARWIN!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    olympia,wa
    Posts
    2,113

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Another Mazda story View Post
    Yeah but I'm asking what is a good alternative to Panelbond and Welding?
    sure, take it to someone who will do it for you. there's no way around proper procedure if you want a good repair. many times you can find someone to do the stuff that's out of you're comfort zone and then you can finish.
    b marler

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    47,716

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Another Mazda story View Post
    Yeah but I'm asking what is a good alternative to Panelbond and Welding?
    If you can cut the panel so that the seam is under a molding so that it's hidden you can overlap the panels and rivet them together. It's not the best method but it works for a quick and cheap job.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Houndogforever View Post
    There is no other way of adding material other than welding or bonding.
    Right, but what is a better alternative to 3Ms version of Panelbond? Since you have to buy the $200 gun??

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    47,716

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Another Mazda story View Post
    Right, but what is a better alternative to 3Ms version of Panelbond? Since you have to buy the $200 gun??
    You can use a small tube of Fusor Metal Bonding Adhesive for $29.85 and the small gun would cost $69.50 at this time.


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    189

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Another Mazda story View Post
    Right, but what is a better alternative to 3Ms version of Panelbond? Since you have to buy the $200 gun??
    I paid $60 for one with free shipping (3M 3M 0857) in July, from eBay. I've seen someone on youtube actually use JBWeld as a substitute, not sure I'd do that -but if it works, its pretty cost effective.

    Here is a fresh link to the same gun I bought, its $61 and free shipping.

    https://www.ebay.com/itm/275316652012
    Last edited by fj5gtx; 09-24-2022 at 09:32 PM. Reason: ebay link

  10. #10

    Question

    Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    You can use a small tube of Fusor Metal Bonding Adhesive for $29.85 and the small gun would cost $69.50 at this time.

    Hi Len,

    I took your advice and got fusor.


    This is my first time using a bonding adhesive, I have never used one before.

    I am wondering what is the minimal amount required per six inches of metal?

    Can I bond a small two inch piece of metal and only apply two centimeters to the edges?

    Thank you!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    47,716

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Another Mazda story View Post
    Hi Len,

    I took your advice and got fusor.


    This is my first time using a bonding adhesive, I have never used one before.

    I am wondering what is the minimal amount required per six inches of metal?

    Can I bond a small two inch piece of metal and only apply two centimeters to the edges?

    Thank you!
    I normally overlap the metal about 1/2" to 1" and apply enough of the bonding material that it squeezes out both sides when I clamp the seam. One thing good about Fusor is that it has particles in the glue that keeps it from squeezing out all the glue so that the bond remains strong.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •