TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Dumb question: How to measure air pressure at the cap?

Cool Dumb question: How to measure air pressure at the cap?

I'm about to jamb my '54. I'm gonna lay a quick sealer coat of Summit Racing's DTM epoxy and follow that with TCP Global's restoration shop single stage Firemist Green metallic. I'll be using a cheap HF purple gun with a 1.4mm tip. I also have a digital regulator on the gun. Both the epoxy and color coat calls for 8-10psi at the cap. How exactly do you measure the pressure at the cap?

Quote Originally Posted by evintho View Post
    I'm about to jamb my '54. I'm gonna lay a quick sealer coat of Summit Racing's DTM epoxy and follow that with TCP Global's restoration shop single stage Firemist Green metallic. I'll be using a cheap HF purple gun with a 1.4mm tip. I also have a digital regulator on the gun. Both the epoxy and color coat calls for 8-10psi at the cap. How exactly do you measure the pressure at the cap?
    Very few guns have a way to measure the pressure at the cap. If it's an HVLP gun then the technical info for the gun should tell you to have a certain inlet pressure in order to have a certain cap pressure. If you have any paperwork for the gun it may have that info or you may be able to find it online. Many cost guns won't publish much technical info.

Default the manual isn't much help, is it?

Quote Originally Posted by evintho View Post
    I think that gun says 20-70 psi for input. I use that gun as a throw away; only use it for painting chassis saver (like POR15) on underside of vehicles and trailers. If that material dries out in the gun, the gun is ready for the trash can.

What you want to do is dial-in your pressure to get decent atomization while trying to minimize overspray. I think I start at 25psi and keep going up until it sprays (atomizes) ok. Then figure out how far away from the panel you can spray to get a decent wet coat that doesn't run.

Its not really a very efficient spray gun, pretty poor quality and materials. It might do jambs ok, but I'd get a different gun for larger areas. Len can recommend an affordable decent DYI gun, or a more expensive pro gun.

Metallic single stage with a junk gun (sorry!) is not really a great combo for a good result. Not saying you can't get it done, but you're not making things easy for yourself.

Good luck !