TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Patching up holes in Jeep body

Default Patching up holes in Jeep body

I removed the aftermarket rocker guards from a Jeep JK and I知 left with a bunch of holes to fix. How would you guys repair the two holes on the right? I知 guessing if I try to weld them, I値l catch the insulation on fire. Would I be better off using fiberglass on those and weld up the remainder of holes on the left?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Are you talking about those two upper holes? If so there are a couple ways of fixing them.....

1. You can tap them down and weld a small patch over each then use a fiberglass filler to level the surface.

2. You can tap them down then press some foil tape over the holes then use a fiberglass filler to level the surface.

Fiberglass filler holds up better than standard (Bondo type) fillers in situations like this.

Be sure to grind the paint of filler off around the holes before you tap them down.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    Are you talking about those two upper holes? If so there are a couple ways of fixing them.....

1. You can tap them down and weld a small patch over each then use a fiberglass filler to level the surface.

2. You can tap them down then press some foil tape over the holes then use a fiberglass filler to level the surface.

Fiberglass filler holds up better than standard (Bondo type) fillers in situations like this.

Be sure to grind the paint of filler off around the holes before you tap them down.

I always weld things up... but I guess if I couldn't do that, I'd be tempted to 95% fill them with jbweld epoxy (or equivalent) and then filler to finalize.

Quote Originally Posted by fj5gtx View Post
    I always weld things up... but I guess if I couldn't do that, I'd be tempted to 95% fill them with jbweld epoxy (or equivalent) and then filler to finalize.
    The problem with using only filler is that the moisture tends to seep around it and cause the repair to show or fail quickly. It's usually best to put something over the hole after counter sinking it THEN use a moisture resistant filler to level the surface.

A look at using foil and fiberglass filler can be found HERE. Scroll down to the pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by fj5gtx View Post
    I did this on a few small holes nearly 20 years ago....still looks good!
    Politicians like using other people's money!

Quote Originally Posted by carcrazy View Post
    I did this on a few small holes nearly 20 years ago....still looks good!
    Were the holes in an area where moisture collects or were they higher in the vehicle? If the back of the metal stays dry then almost any filler will do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    Were the holes in an area where moisture collects or were they higher in the vehicle? If the back of the metal stays dry then almost any filler will do the job.
    They were higher up. JB weld epoxy is pretty tough stuff.
    Politicians like using other people's money!

Thanks Len, I did what you said and tapped down around the hole and welded a patch over one of the holes. I like the technique but the insulation did catch fire but I was able to blow it out through the other hole. I'm a bit concerned that in welding over the second hole it may catch fire and I wouldn't be able to blow it out.

Also, thanks for the quick shipping on the Zero Rust, I had it 2 days after I ordered it.