TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Compressor size

Default Compressor size

I'm looking to start a mobile paint and body busniess and wanted to know what size compressor would work for small repairs. It's gonna be gas powered. Any suggestions on brand and size. Good for spraying paint and using a DA. And any other suggestions in starting up a mobile business.

The bigger the better and don't skip on the filtering.
    LET'S GO DARWIN!

Quote Originally Posted by vsuarez82 View Post
    I'm looking to start a mobile paint and body busniess and wanted to know what size compressor would work for small repairs. It's gonna be gas powered. Any suggestions on brand and size. Good for spraying paint and using a DA. And any other suggestions in starting up a mobile business.
    The size of the compressor is going to depend on several variables. When working in a garage I normally recommend a 60 gallon tank minimum but a smaller tank is doable depending on the tools and the amount of work. For doing small to medium size jobs you can probably drop down to a 30 or 40 gallon tank but then the amount of air of the tools being used is a factor.

For smaller jobs like the size of a fender or smaller a small spray gun like the Sagola Mini Xtreme with a 30 gallon tank should work fine and a good sander like the Airvantage Sander work well using a minimum amount of air.

A "good" compressor like the BelAire shown here would run about $4000 but there are less expensive types available but you'll get what you pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by vsuarez82 View Post
    The DA typically gobbles alot of air, you should game out how long you're typically running it and then use the rated cfm to come up with how much air you're going to need. A larger tank can somewhat compensate for a smaller compressor on small jobs. However I can say that when I had a 12cfm on a 60 gallon, that compressor wouldn't shut off when I was running my IR da. The air would get hot and would start taxing my cooling setup, so likely you'd need some sort of air drier system so you don't destroy your air tools or contaminate your paint work.

If you're going to use a gas powered compressor I'd recommend one with a push button starter and carry around an aerosol can of starting fluid.