TheCoatingStore.com

Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Explosion proof exhaust fans

  1. #1

    Default Explosion proof exhaust fans

    Hi all. I am doing my first ground up restoration on a 68 bronco. I am at the stage of painting the inside of the tub and engine compartment. I got a hobby air hooded mask from Len and am now thinking that I better not follow the examples of normal box fans framed in 24 x 24 framework under the garage doors.

    Can any of you recommend good quality with proper exhaust flow fans for me? And where to get them?

    Thanks,

    Bill

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    47,706

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by drillerbill View Post
    Hi all. I am doing my first ground up restoration on a 68 bronco. I am at the stage of painting the inside of the tub and engine compartment. I got a hobby air hooded mask from Len and am now thinking that I better not follow the examples of normal box fans framed in 24” x 24” framework under the garage doors.

    Can any of you recommend good quality with proper exhaust flow fans for me? And where to get them?

    Thanks,

    Bill
    Since a lot of solvents were removed from modern paint products the overspray isn't as flammable but a buildup of overspray dust can be dangerous.

    When I first built my booth I cut a hole in the wall and installed a 24" fan then built a box around it to hold a filter so that the overspray would get removed before it reached the fan.

    Jenny Explosion Proof Fans are probably the best but when we had problems getting them we took them off the site.

  3. #3

    Default Explosion proof fans

    Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    Since a lot of solvents were removed from modern paint products the overspray isn't as flammable but a buildup of overspray dust can be dangerous.

    When I first built my booth I cut a hole in the wall and installed a 24" fan then built a box around it to hold a filter so that the overspray would get removed before it reached the fan.

    Jenny Explosion Proof Fans are probably the best but when we had problems getting them we took them off the site.
    Thanks Len.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    olympia,wa
    Posts
    2,105

    Default

    i used to pull the air out of the booth, but have switched to pushing air in instead. i use a squirrel cage liberated from an old furnace to do the work. dual fan, two speed, free. (or cheap if you're resourceful)
    i'm having great results with it as it pushes all the dust out the cracks and exhaust filter instead of pulling it in. less insects too. air gets filtered on the way in as well as on the way out.
    just a thought.
    b marler

  5. #5

    Default

    i use a squirrel cage liberated from an old furnace
    You can use a carpet dryer also it's basically the same thing. May have to modify the end because it directs the air in one spot.
    floordryer.jpg

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    47,706

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Metallic Mayhem View Post
    You can use a carpet dryer also it's basically the same thing. May have to modify the end because it directs the air in one spot.
    floordryer.jpg
    That may work in a small booth/room but in a booth for painting cars I would think it would do very little.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •