TheCoatingStore.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21

Thread: Primer Question

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    103

    Default Primer Question

    Hi all, I primed a few panels over scuffed oem using 2k finish one. Came out pretty smooth. Questions:
    I'm having to wait 1 to 3 weeks to BC and clear. Have them stored in an in active garage under plastic drops. Should I just blow them off and sand? Or wash?
    Been seeing different opinions in sanding primer w/ 400 or 600 before base coating. Thoughts?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    47,478

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vza View Post
    Hi all, I primed a few panels over scuffed oem using 2k finish one. Came out pretty smooth. Questions:
    I'm having to wait 1 to 3 weeks to BC and clear. Have them stored in an in active garage under plastic drops. Should I just blow them off and sand? Or wash?
    Been seeing different opinions in sanding primer w/ 400 or 600 before base coating. Thoughts?
    I've never used that primer but we would probably uncover the parts, blow them off, sand with 400 for a solid color or 600 for a metallic then wipe off the surfaces with grease and was remover then tack off just prior to painting.

  3. #3

    Default

    I wouldn't cover any new primer with plastic.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    103

    Default

    Hi Len...So do you mean to leave them uncovered as JC says? Take the cover off? I loosely put plastic over the tops of the panels there still is air getting to it. Thanks for the response

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    47,478

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vza View Post
    Hi Len...So do you mean to leave them uncovered as JC says? Take the cover off? I loosely put plastic over the tops of the panels there still is air getting to it. Thanks for the response
    I'm not a fan of covering primer or finishes with plastic because it can cause problems with the consistency with the surface. If you have to cover it to protect it from dust or people touching it use something that breaths like a cloth sheet.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    103

    Default

    Well...I guess I'll uncover them on Sun when I get back. Hope everything will be ok. Thanks

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    103

    Default

    Hi, So its OK to use solvent based wax grease remover on primer?
    thanks v

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    47,478

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vza View Post
    Hi, So its OK to use solvent based wax grease remover on primer?
    thanks v
    If you're cleaning a hardened primer and don't allow the solvent to linger on the surface it should be fine. Spray the cleaner on a two or three square foot area then wipe it off and move to the next area.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    103

    Default

    Yes, Fully cured. Same goes for bumper with water based WG remover.? Thanks V

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    47,478

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vza View Post
    Yes, Fully cured. Same goes for bumper with water based WG remover.? Thanks V
    Yes, the same process but before applying paint go over the surface with a good tack cloth right before spraying paint.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    103

    Default

    Hi, OK to wet sand primer to keep the dust off the work? Let dry over night, blow and WG remover then BC? Also.....does Glaze putty need to be primed before BC? Thanks V

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    47,478

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vza View Post
    Hi, OK to wet sand primer to keep the dust off the work? Let dry over night, blow and WG remover then BC? Also.....does Glaze putty need to be primed before BC? Thanks V
    Yes, wet sanding primer works well. You should guide coat the primer before block sanding and rinse or wipe as you proceed. After it's dry blow out all the gaps as well as under moldings etc. then use a good tack cloth right before you pull the trigger. Putty should be primed/sealed before sanding and painting.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    103

    Default

    Hi Again, Proceeded Base coating today. Was going good and went on smooth and shiny (almost looked as though I cleared it) then I ran out of daylight. I ran the BC coat in a few spots and sanded them out and recoated per data sheet instructions. I assume I'll find more in the daylight tomorrow. Can I sand them out if need be and recoat tomorrow or is it too late. I'm using Sherwin Williams Dimension. I also may have some dry spots and not full coverage in places.... couldn't tell cause it was dark.. What can I do about those? Also ...data sheet said pot life was indefinite...you think if the BC will still usable ? Thanks for getting back with all your invaluable answers. Regards Vince

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    47,478

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vza View Post
    Hi Again, Proceeded Base coating today. Was going good and went on smooth and shiny (almost looked as though I cleared it) then I ran out of daylight. I ran the BC coat in a few spots and sanded them out and recoated per data sheet instructions. I assume I'll find more in the daylight tomorrow. Can I sand them out if need be and recoat tomorrow or is it too late. I'm using Sherwin Williams Dimension. I also may have some dry spots and not full coverage in places.... couldn't tell cause it was dark.. What can I do about those? Also ...data sheet said pot life was indefinite...you think if the BC will still usable ? Thanks for getting back with all your invaluable answers. Regards Vince
    You should have most of that information in the technical data sheet (TDS) publicshed by the paint manufacturer. Most base coat products have a "re-coat window which is the amount of time that the base can be top coated, you need to apply your clear within that time. If the base coat paint doesn't have an activator (and many do not) it can be stored and reused at any time.

    In most cases, as long as you have achieved base coverage, you can apply your clear over minor dull spots. However if the base coat color has metallic particles they may show slightly differently in a dull area after the clear is applied.

    NOTE: A smooth and glossy finish isn't required in your base coat, that's the job of your clear. Most base coats will dry dull.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    You should have most of that information in the technical data sheet (TDS) publicshed by the paint manufacturer. Most base coat products have a "re-coat window which is the amount of time that the base can be top coated, you need to apply your clear within that time. If the base coat paint doesn't have an activator (and many do not) it can be stored and reused at any time.

    In most cases, as long as you have achieved base coverage, you can apply your clear over minor dull spots. However if the base coat color has metallic particles they may show slightly differently in a dull area after the clear is applied.

    NOTE: A smooth and glossy finish isn't required in your base coat, that's the job of your clear. Most base coats will dry dull.
    Yes, the TDS says CC over base within 7 days, does that go for reapplying another base coat as well? Says only to let paint flash 10-20 mins for base coatings. No specific time window for base coats. Thanks V

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •