TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: When jambing, will color adhere to small spots of bare metal?

Hybrid View

Cool When jambing, will color adhere to small spots of bare metal?

Took my door jambs down to bare metal then covered with 2 coats epoxy followed by 2 coats of urethane primer. One dry, I scuffed them down with a 3M red pad. Probably got a little too aggressive and uncovered a couple of tiny bits of bare metal. Don't particularly want to reprime. Can I just shoot my color coat over this? Will it stick?

https://autobodystore.com/forum/images/attach/jpg.gif

https://autobodystore.com/forum/images/attach/jpg.gif
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm not some kind of expert painter, but I always use rattle can self etching primer on those first. I've so far never had a problem with it lifting, even the rustoleum is lacquer.

I've also wiped the spots with etch and then a plain wet piece of towel, then primed the spots before basecoat. Be sure to blow it off with air before priming to be sure the water has fully evaporated.

Basecoat does not adhere well to bare metal like primer does. I'm sure someone more qualified than myself will chime in here. I hope that helps you.

You need to put something over bare spots before base.
    I recommend a thinned down epoxy primer as a sealer,
    a light coat of that and you can paint right over it in an hour or less.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by JCCLARK View Post
    You need to put something over bare spots before base.
    I recommend a thinned down epoxy primer as a sealer,
    a light coat of that and you can paint right over it in an hour or less.
    I guess I'll have to do that. I've got small bare spots in the trunk too that I'll be jambing.
    So.....a light coat of DTM epoxy followed by the color coat, with no scuffing of the epoxy within the recoat window, right?

Yes, that's another advantage of epoxy, it has a long recoat window,
    some as many as 7 days.
    And it lays real smooth when reduced to a sealer coat.
    Check your brand tech. sheet for recommended reduction ratios.

Since I'm old school, and still have 1/2 gallon (maybe 1-1/2? gal sprayable) of lacquer filler primer left over from a long time ago, I use that as scratch filler after it dries for a day or so before applying the sealer.

I've never used epoxy primer, mostly bc I hear it's deadly if you breathe it in. I do like the idea of sprayable body filler though! I'm used to doing stuff the hard way I guess, and lacquer primer does shrink a lot over time.

(excuse the hijack)