TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Waterborne basecoat-Thinned or not

Default Waterborne basecoat-Thinned or not

I could not go to the city to pick up the paint I need for my college kid, so I wrote down what I need for a color match to paint the chipped hood of her CRV. I need to paint this weekend, as she is leaving next week.

Due to supply issues, I could not get a solvent-based basecoat and was provided waterborne. I was sent Axalta Challenger Primer and Clearcoat, and a PPG Nexa Autocolor Aquabase Plus (P989-)basecoat. Thinners were not included with the pint basecoat. Am I to assume it was thinned as per the technical sheet or were the thinners omitted by accident? I will be spraying waterborne for the first time, so I would hate to guess wrong.

IMG_6311.jpgIMG_6312.jpg

Another person may have answers for you but I haven't used waterborne so I can't help you. If nobody chimes in I'd recommend that you find the technical data sheets (TDS) for the products you're using for some guidance.

I may have solved my own mystery. The top of the can has handwritten on it-RFU. I asked my daughter who picked up the paint, and she all of a sudden remembers that he said something about "ready for use"!

Quote Originally Posted by tractor1971 View Post
    I may have solved my own mystery. The top of the can has handwritten on it-RFU. I asked my daughter who picked up the paint, and she all of a sudden remembers that he said something about "ready for use"!
    Let us know how it sprays and how it turns out.

The verdict. The paint was thinned as I thought after seeing RFU on the can. The Challenger primer covered well but did not lay very smooth. I had to sand the primer a fair bit to get it smooth. The Aquabase plus was very, very well matched, kudos to Brad at Rondex in Calgary. It was very blotchy (operator error very likely) and I could not get an even spray pattern with my test paper (1.4 mm Devilbiss GFG 670 plus), but I was able to remedy the mottle with my last control coat. In hindsight, I should have switched to a 1.2 mm. It covered well with only two applications. The Challenger Clear went down well, I have no comment there. Now to fix the dust nibs in the clear...