TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Does anybody else do this?

Default Does anybody else do this?

Fill your pps cups, or opened paint container with argon to displace the oxygen?

There's probably a better way, but I just started doing this and it seems to work so far. Urethane seems to cure in the container pretty quick exposed to oxygen. I just hold the can under my welding tank hose fitting for about 15 seconds to fill it then put the lid back on quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Buttafucco Collision View Post
    Fill your pps cups, or opened paint container with argon to displace the oxygen?

There's probably a better way, but I just started doing this and it seems to work so far. Urethane seems to cure in the container pretty quick exposed to oxygen. I just hold the can under my welding tank hose fitting for about 15 seconds to fill it then put the lid back on quickly.
    Yes argon works but it's usually easier to use Bloxygen. I didn't sell enough to stock it but it's available on Amazon. Linked at the bottom.

That looks a lot easier, I'll try a can!

Thanks for the link Len!

Yeah I've done that. I just unhook the wire drive on my welder, pull off the gun nozzle, and blow c25 into the can. Mainly I do it to my hardeners, and the chassis saver can. On those rust covering paints, I've seen people talk about putting a hole in the top and just cover it with duct tape. I can't see that working very well, because you are really supposed to stir (not shake) that stuff.

My previous welder had a gas purge function, that shut down the wire feed - so one less step.

Quote Originally Posted by fj5gtx View Post
    I just unhook the wire drive on my welder, pull off the gun nozzle, and blow c25 into the can. Mainly I do it to my hardeners, and the chassis saver can.

My previous welder had a gas purge function, that shut down the wire feed - so one less step.
    Great idea! I never thought of that!

i've used the bloxygen before as it's really convenient with the little straw. but it's nothing more than canned argon. i just point my tig torch into the can for a few seconds. the gas lens does a good job projecting the gas into the can. turn off the high freq...
    btw, any inert gas will work to prevent oxidation. nitrogen is another good one, c25, as has been mentioned, will too.
    bottom line is, it really makes a difference. paint and hardener lasts a whole lot longer. i've used hardener that's been open more than a year with no difference in performance. (i wouldn't do that on anything i really cared about though, but something small that could easily be re-done is a good place to use up older hardener.)
    b marler