TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Restore tractor hood

Default Restore tractor hood

First post on this forum and of course I am looking for advice.
    My old tractor hood has quite a bit of rust but I am especially worried about how to de rust/seal the seams where I cannot get to.
    Could I soak the seams with a rust converter then let dry well and paint? I guess the best method is to remove the spot welds where possible, clean, prime and paint? But I donít have a spot welder to reassemble. Maybe just use a stick welder.
    I am not after a professional job but I would like to have a reasonable finish.
    Pics attached
    Attached Images Attached Images

Can you take a picture or two from a little further away so I can see a little more of the way it's constructed?

Default More pics

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    Can you take a picture or two from a little further away so I can see a little more of the way it's constructed?
    2BC0EA8F-C91C-4744-A681-AD90DD54B2B5.jpg2CFA29C4-0973-485A-9294-D337B249BD04.jpg6ADFEBC9-7B6A-498C-962E-A60AB73E6817.jpg36001FCC-C961-4BA4-96A5-CA31FC343AF0.jpg

Len, I hope these clarify my rust.
    Thanks

If we were doing that job we would cut out the rusted spots using a die grinder then weld in new metal. Each spot may need a sightly different approach but most will be approached the same way.

Thanks Len but my welding prowess will never meet that challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by lesterz View Post
    Thanks Len but my welding prowess will never meet that challenge.
    You could use fiberglass but I doubt that it would hold up well for that purpose.
    Last edited by Len; 06-24-2022 at 07:04 AM.

there's precious little metal left there in some spots. new metal has to be added so there's some strength. if welding is out of the question, maybe you could spot blast to get it good and clean, cut away the worst of it, shape some sheet metal to fit on the back side, then use panel adhesive to glue it in. then you could use filler on the outside to smooth the surface.
    i haven't done it that way, but it might work. i'd trust it more than trying fiberglass.
    b marler

Thanks guys. Maybe I will need to get some serious welding practice under my belt to try to do a semi decent job of it.