TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Another rookie question

Default Another rookie question

How many experts here use a viscosity cup?

It would seem to me that if you are spraying paint at over 55*, and use the appropriate temp reducer, and the car has been in the shop for at least a day or so (to equalize) together with the paint, as long as you mix it according to the data sheet a viscosity cup wouldn't be necessary.

Am I on the right track?

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Buttafucco Collision View Post

It would seem to me that if you are spraying paint at over 55*, and use the appropriate temp reducer, and the car has been in the shop for at least a day or so (to equalize) together with the paint, as long as you mix it according to the data sheet a viscosity cup wouldn't be necessary.

Am I on the right track?
    Never used a viscosity cup in 40+ years of painting professionally. If the paint in the gun is too thick or too thin you'll know it right away when you start spraying the paint.
    Last edited by Phil V; 06-09-2022 at 10:49 AM.
    LS says "Lets Go Brandon". He's like that.

Am I on the right track?
    In 56 years I've never used a viscosity cup.

Thanks guys. I wish I would have found this forum a long time ago!

yes, but not often, I'm lucky enough to have a temperature controlled environment. heating and cooling both inside and outside the booth

why are you asking ? what are you spraying ?

Something i always find interesting here is you will hear "refer to your data sheet and follow those directions" yet when it tells you to check viscosity nobody will follow that direction

IMG_1130.jpg

IMG_1136.jpg

Yes I have used it…

It helps me during seasonal temperature changes and when i test out new HS clearcoats…

If you are uncertain, buy it and use it to achieve manufacturers suggested viscosity..

It will assist immensely with consistency of keepin variables in check….so next time when you adjust something ore external circumstances, you know at what viscosity that product performs well…

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightOilJK View Post
    yes, but not often, I'm lucky enough to have a temperature controlled environment. heating and cooling both inside and outside the booth

why are you asking ? what are you spraying ?
    I'm just an old retired guy who never sprayed black paint trying to spray the side of my minivan. Wish I had a playhouse like that though!

At 5 bucks a gallon it's parked anyhow, along with the Buick (9mpg). Paint is the next thing to skyrocket in price so I'm playing why I can still afford to.

Quote Originally Posted by baubau View Post
    Yes I have used it…

It helps me during seasonal temperature changes and when i test out new HS clearcoats…

If you are uncertain, buy it and use it to achieve manufacturers suggested viscosity..

It will assist immensely with consistency of keepin variables in check….so next time when you adjust something ore external circumstances, you know at what viscosity that product performs well…
    I understand your point, Baubau. Inexperienced painters not knowing what a paint SHOULD spray like would benefit from a viscosity cup or another name would be a Zahn cup. Also I can see where you might use a viscosity cup getting ready to spray a new product that you're not familiar with.

I found this interesting . Cut-n-paste .............. "The Ford #4 viscosity cup has a very much larger orifice than the Zahn cups, and for the most part they are used in paint or coating laboratories where more accurate measurements are required. They are well suited to laboratories, but probably are less convenient for paint production shops."
    LS says "Lets Go Brandon". He's like that.

Sounds to me like the Ford cups have less room for error, due to the shorter time for the paint to exit the cup. A Zahn cup, with the smaller hole, must take longer so if you are off by a second or two it's not that critical.

Phil, btw, I love your signature

Quote Originally Posted by Phil V View Post
    I understand your point, Baubau. Inexperienced painters not knowing what a paint SHOULD spray like would benefit from a viscosity cup or another name would be a Zahn cup. Also I can see where you might use a viscosity cup getting ready to spray a new product that you're not familiar with.

I found this interesting . Cut-n-paste .............. "The Ford #4 viscosity cup has a very much larger orifice than the Zahn cups, and for the most part they are used in paint or coating laboratories where more accurate measurements are required. They are well suited to laboratories, but probably are less convenient for paint production shops."
    while no they are definitely not convenient they are a great tool, painters to have to be careful not to over reduce cold paint when using VCups

They are convenient bcs few extra minutes can prevent a disaster...

Sometimes you gotta slow down....

Too much, too fast, too much trouble...my motto when painting

Give it the time it takes !

you are a smart fella

Wow, this is so true. Like baubau I use my Zahn cups on unfamiliar products.

Lots of experience based knowledge in this thread. Now I can understand why most paint shops stick with one brand.

Lots of experience based knowledge in this thread. Now I can understand why most paint shops stick with one brand.
    Yes most "production" shops stick with one brand but if a shop is going both production work and high quality work their paint products can vary and the price of materials can vary greatly.