TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Orange peel with epoxy primer

Default Orange peel with epoxy primer

So I’m attempting to do as much prep work on my 66 Mustang before final color shoot. Learning by doing. I am going with Eastwood roll-on primer system. Jury definitely out on result so far.
    The new metal truck lid is my test and learn piece. Rather spend my time perfecting on a piece 3x4 rather then the whole car.
    I have put on 2 coats of epoxy primer but I have orange peel. I was planning on putting 3 coats on. My question is…should I sand smooth now or lay down 3rd coat and then sand??
    Another related question…could the orange peel result from how primer was mixed? I followed manufacture instructions. So puzzled with peel.

Quote Originally Posted by mellis18 View Post
    So I’m attempting to do as much prep work on my 66 Mustang before final color shoot. Learning by doing. I am going with Eastwood roll-on primer system. Jury definitely out on result so far.
    The new metal truck lid is my test and learn piece. Rather spend my time perfecting on a piece 3x4 rather then the whole car.
    I have put on 2 coats of epoxy primer but I have orange peel. I was planning on putting 3 coats on. My question is…should I sand smooth now or lay down 3rd coat and then sand??
    Another related question…could the orange peel result from how primer was mixed? I followed manufacture instructions. So puzzled with peel.
    Is it filler primer or direct to metal epoxy primer? Are you applying it with fuzzy roller or a sponge roller?

Painting with a roller isn't the best way to get a smooth coating but if it's your only choice I'd say sanding between coats, after the primer or paint has hardened is probably the best way to deal with orange peel and other irregularities.

I'm using the roller supplied by manufacturer, Eastwood. I will wait until the second coat has a good cure, sand, and then lay down the 3rd coat and see what happens.

of course there will be orange peel. you're using a roller to apply it. did they (eastwood) imply it was going to be perfectly smooth?
    b marler

It is the roller…

Go to hardware store and pick a smooth roller sponge and it will help..

But it will never be super smooth…

So yes, you gotta sand…

I apply my sealer with my Iwata spray guns bcs they atomism so well and still sealer sometimes comes not smooth, so then I shoot a coat of solvent base cost, let if dry and flash and then I sand quickly …it makes a difference