TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: cleaning epoxy primer

Default cleaning epoxy primer

Now that my truck is out, the bugs like it as well. What is the best way to clean up the epoxy primer?
    Building my dream one piece at a time.

Itís a little late to tell you this, but if I need to interrupt the sequence of painting with epoxy for some reason, Iíll spray 2k surfacer on and let the project sit for days, weeks, or months or whatever. Then when I get back to it I just block the 2k. No worrying about the epoxy recoat window. Sanding with something like 800 grit and repriming is all I can think of for you at this point if out of the recoat window.

Bob K

Quote Originally Posted by Marten View Post
    Now that my truck is out, the bugs like it as well. What is the best way to clean up the epoxy primer?
    What are you cleaning? The gun? If so look at the gun cleaning video at the top of the General Discussion forum. Never leave any primer or paint in the gun, clean it right after you spray.

are you just talking about keeping it clean while you drive it around this summer? or are you wanting to move toward painting? wax and grease remover is a good wipe for getting bug jerky off.
    you've been out of your recoat window for the epoxy for quite some time now i think, so like bob k says, sanding is the way forward, but only if you are ready. most epoxy like to be recoated with more epoxy. after sanding, recoat with epoxy (this can just be an epoxy sealer coat), then shoot 2k urethane while in the recoat window of the epoxy.
    also like bob k says, if you're leaving the project for an extended time, urethane primer is probably best. it's ok to get it wet, or get a little dirt on it as you are going to block it before painting.
    b marler

A bit of misunderstanding here. A long time ago I was told it is OK to prime it then leave it. So that is what I have done. Now that I am out driving the truck, it is getting dirty so I want to give it a bath. Not sure if automotive soap and water is OK to use on primer or not. there is no plan at this point to paint it. I want to drive it for a season and see how it goes first. Maybe I was given some wrong info, no idea.
    Building my dream one piece at a time.

A bit of misunderstanding here. A long time ago I was told it is OK to prime it then leave it. So that is what I have done. Now that I am out driving the truck, it is getting dirty so I want to give it a bath. Not sure if automotive soap and water is OK to use on primer or not. there is no plan at this point to paint it. I want to drive it for a season and see how it goes first. Maybe I was given some wrong info, no idea.
    Yes you can wash it, if the weather hasn't caused any problems you should b ok.

len is right, you can wash it. just steer clear of anything that has wax or silicone, or any kind of "polymer" additives. in fact, maybe just use dawn dish detergent on it. that's usually pretty safe.
    b marler