TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Painting Plastic Door Handles

Default Painting Plastic Door Handles

I need to paint some brand new door handles for my Kia. These are OEM parts I bought new, and they come in a bare gray plastic (no primer). I have bought the adhesion promoter and also the tri-coat paint system I need to get the "snow white pearl" finish. What I am not clear on is if I can jump directly from adhesion promoter to base coat, or if I need to apply a 2K sealer in between. I do have a black 2K epoxy primer which I can reduce as a sealer: the problem is that my base coat is white and I'm not sure if my white base will cover the black epoxy sealer? I'd rather not have to buy a white/gray epoxy just for this job. My adhesion promoter does suggest it can be followed up with base coat, but I wonder if a high-contact area like a door handle really needs a sealer. Thanks!

I put the base coat directly on the adhesion promoter on everything plastic, even bumper covers. They get a lot of trauma in their everyday life and hold up well.

Bob K

Quote Originally Posted by Alanine View Post
    I need to paint some brand new door handles for my Kia. These are OEM parts I bought new, and they come in a bare gray plastic (no primer). I have bought the adhesion promoter and also the tri-coat paint system I need to get the "snow white pearl" finish. What I am not clear on is if I can jump directly from adhesion promoter to base coat, or if I need to apply a 2K sealer in between. I do have a black 2K epoxy primer which I can reduce as a sealer: the problem is that my base coat is white and I'm not sure if my white base will cover the black epoxy sealer? I'd rather not have to buy a white/gray epoxy just for this job. My adhesion promoter does suggest it can be followed up with base coat, but I wonder if a high-contact area like a door handle really needs a sealer. Thanks!
    Most adhesion promoters work best when applied in two light coats. Spray the first coat, allow it to flash and apply the second and allow it to flash then apply your base color. No sealer required.

Thanks to both of you - much appreciated!