TheCoatingStore.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sagola 4500 not spraying evenly

Default Sagola 4500 not spraying evenly

Hello all,

I've had a Sagola 4500 extreme for about 5 years now and it has performed very well for me.

I tried spraying my 66 Chevelle this past weekend and, along with the other problems I had with the bodywork, the gun sprayed very unevenly. I should have put a paper up to test it before I started, but forgot.

Anyway, the pattern on the paper now is very heavy on top and light on the bottom.

I cleaned the gun very well after I was done, tested it, and ended up soaking all the parts and the even the gun in first acetone and then lacquer thinner for 2 days. I ran a brush and wire into every hole I could find. I checked all the holes in it, even the 10 tiny holes in the air cap. Nothing seems to help it.

Any ideas on how to fix this before I look for a new gun?

Thanks guys

Corey

Wow, sounds like you did everything I can think of.
    Try spraying a test pattern on paper then rotate your air cap 180 degrees.
    If the heavy side changes from top to bottom you'll know it's in the air cap.
    If not, then maybe the fluid cap and needle need checking out.
    Otherwise, I'm baffled.
    I love this gun and use it often.
    Good luck and keep us posted if you figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by JCCLARK View Post
    Wow, sounds like you did everything I can think of.
    Try spraying a test pattern on paper then rotate your air cap 180 degrees.
    If the heavy side changes from top to bottom you'll know it's in the air cap.
    If not, then maybe the fluid cap and needle need checking out.
    Otherwise, I'm baffled.
    I love this gun and use it often.
    Good luck and keep us posted if you figure it out.

That was a good idea, JCCLARK, thanks.

I went out and tried and no difference. So it's not the aircap? That's even weirder to me. The needle looks perfect. Is the fluid cap the tip where needle fits? Could something be obstructing it inside the gun?

Thanks

Corey

A couple of potential problems on ANY spray gun....

1. NEVER soak the gun body for more than a minute or two. While soaking won't hurt the metal parts it can cause the soft parts to permanently distort.

2. Be sure that you install your fluid tip BEFORE you install the needle. If the needle is installed first the fluid tip can damage it unless the needle is pulled back before the fluid tip is turned in. The slightest amount of damage to the needle can cause problems.

3. Be careful when removing or installing the fluid tip. If the wrench slips off the tip while loosening or tightening and hits the fluid tip's tip the slightest amount of damage can distort the spray pattern.

Don't ask me how I know these problems, I've been spraying paint for over 60 years and the Sagola gun is one of the best I've used but most guns are susceptible to the same problems.

Also you may want to check out the gun cleaning video at the top of the General Discussion forum.

One more thing, allow the gun to dry before you reassemble it.
    Last edited by Len; 05-20-2022 at 01:46 PM. Reason: One more thing

I guess I assumed you removed the nozzle, but did you? Typically just screws off with the help of a wrench. If you haven't, I'd pull it and look at that from the inside.

B. Top-heavy pattern caused by partly clogged horn holes, obstruction on top of fluid tip, dirt on air cap seat or fluid tip seat.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I basically took everything apart and cleaned it thoroughly. With brushes and acetone. Multiple times. It definitely looks like pattern B though.

Unless the needle is a little bent like Len said or the tip is a little off, I canít see anything that could be causing this.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    A couple of potential problems on ANY spray gun....

1. NEVER soak the gun body for more than a minute or two. While soaking won't hurt the metal parts it can cause the soft parts to permanently distort.

2. Be sure that you install your fluid tip BEFORE you install the needle. If the needle is installed first the fluid tip can damage it unless the needle is pulled back before the fluid tip is turned in. The slightest amount of damage to the needle can cause problems.

3. Be careful when removing or installing the fluid tip. If the wrench slips off the tip while loosening or tightening and hits the fluid tip's tip the slightest amount of damage can distort the spray pattern.

Don't ask me how I know these problems, I've been spraying paint for over 60 years and the Sagola gun is one of the best I've used but most guns are susceptible to the same problems.

Also you may want to check out the gun cleaning video at the top of the General Discussion forum.

One more thing, allow the gun to dry before you reassemble it.

Thanks for reply Len, nice to see you responding on the forum again. Hope you are feeling better.

Other than not soaking the whole gun, all of these things I follow.
    Is there soft parts inside the Sagola that can get damaged?

Quote Originally Posted by chopperroxie View Post
    Thanks for reply Len, nice to see you responding on the forum again. Hope you are feeling better.

Other than not soaking the whole gun, all of these things I follow.
    Is there soft parts inside the Sagola that can get damaged?
    Yes you could have damaged some soft parts but I don't think they would have changed the spray pattern. I would think that the pattern was changed by damage to the fluid tip or needle. Look closely at the relationship of the fluid tip where it projects through the air cap and also look closely at the point of the needle.

If the soft parts are damaged the gun would most likely leak air or paint in the area of the damage.

You can rule out needle problems be Pulling the trigger, removing the tip and loosening the needle screw while holding the needle still. Then while itís free turn it 90 or 180 degrees and carefully reassemble the tip with the trigger pulled. Then spray a little thinner and if the pattern doesnít change then that would tell me the needle isnít the culprit. Do you have another size tip to try?

Bob K

If I had to guess I would say it's a bent needle.
    Try rolling it on a flat surface to see if it's true.

sagola are finely machined spray guns. no plastic sealing rings means that the mating surfaces must be perfect. if rotating the fluid needle, or air cap doesn't change anything, disassemble again and look very closely for any sign of burrs or other unusual wear marks on any of the mating surfaces. have a very close look at the fan adjustment assembly as well. is it possible you deformed something during disassembly? dropped something?
    b marler

When Iím at the shop tomorrow Iíll check the needle out like you guys explained and report back. Thanks
    Corey

Ok, so I'm out at the shop and I've checked over the Sagola for any issues with the mating surface of the tip and needle, and the air cap. All looks good.

I tried rotating the needle 180 deg out to see if the spray pattern changed, it didn't.

I tried rolling the needle on a granite countertop. Rolled perfectly. So no issue with the needle.

I'm at a loss for what is wrong with this gun. I don't even know what parts I would replace, other than the entire gun.
    Am I at a point where I should spring for a 4600? I really like this gun and but need it in about a month to shoot this Chevelle.

Thanks

Corey

Clean your air horn holes again...clean it again all of it..

Check your pressure gauge, maybe it is spraying ar way too high pressure?...

Sagolas have no seals so should be easy to find issue...

Your problems are strange if everything is correct as yourescribe

Pressure is 25, about what I usually spray at.
    Cleaned all the holes in the air cap again, is that the same as the air horn?

The pattern is weird, almost all coming at the top, like a big blob, and very little on the bottom. Very strange.