TheCoatingStore.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sagola 4500 not spraying evenly

Quote Originally Posted by chopperroxie View Post
    Pressure is 25, about what I usually spray at.
    Cleaned all the holes in the air cap again, is that the same as the air horn?

The pattern is weird, almost all coming at the top, like a big blob, and very little on the bottom. Very strange.
    air horn is same as air cap. all those tiny holes are important too, so run some coper wire through them, or some monofilament, or what ever you have that won't damage the holes.
    how about the fan adjustment? is it working?
    b marler

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    air horn is same as air cap. all those tiny holes are important too, so run some coper wire through them, or some monofilament, or what ever you have that won't damage the holes.
    how about the fan adjustment? is it working?

I have a gun cleaning kit with the tiny metal rods that fit in those holes and I ran it through all 10 of them. No obstructions and I can hold it up to the light and see that they are all clean.

Fan adjustment works. I usually have it wide open, but I can set it tighter and it does work correctly.
    I tried turning the air cap 180 deg and it does have the same pattern when sprayed again. That was recommended early on if that tells you anything.

Disassemble the gun and soak the air cap and fluid tip in thinner overnight. Use a pipe cleaner and Q-Tip to clean the fluid tip and blow out the air cap horns of the cap. If you have a good gun cleaning kit use the small brushes instead of pipe cleaners and Q-Tips.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    Disassemble the gun and soak the air cap and fluid tip in thinner overnight. Use a pipe cleaner and Q-Tip to clean the fluid tip and blow out the air cap horns of the cap. If you have a good gun cleaning kit use the small brushes instead of pipe cleaners and Q-Tips.
    Ok Len, I'll do that tonight and try cleaning it tomorrow morning and see how that goes.

Thanks

Corey

I think 25 is a little low on your PSI, not enough to be your
    problem but isn't the gun suppose to have 30 PSI.

Quote Originally Posted by JCCLARK View Post
    I think 25 is a little low on your PSI, not enough to be your
    problem but isn't the gun suppose to have 30 PSI.
    i run mine at 30-ish. i have run it lower but have not had pattern issues, just not quite as good a finish. it does require high flow fittings and a decent hose though.
    b marler

Ok so I had the air cap and fluid soaking in thinner all night. This morning I cleaned it thoroughly. I checked all the mating surfaces and tightened everything down. It now basically looks like new and still shoots with the same uneven pattern. If anything, it's all shooting in the upper zone and hardly any shooting lower. Basically the pattern looks like a big blog up top. This is so frustrating and I think it might be time for a new gun.

It seems to me something is damaged internally that I cannot see. Any other advice or suggestions would be appreciated but I don't know what else to do besides get a new one.

Thanks all for your help

Corey

Ok so I had the air cap and fluid soaking in thinner all night. This morning I cleaned it thoroughly. I checked all the mating surfaces and tightened everything down. It now basically looks like new and still shoots with the same uneven pattern. If anything, it's all shooting in the upper zone and hardly any shooting lower. Basically the pattern looks like a big blog up top. This is so frustrating and I think it might be time for a new gun.

It seems to me something is damaged internally that I cannot see. Any other advice or suggestions would be appreciated but I don't know what else to do besides get a new one.

Thanks all for your help

Corey

Shoot me a text message, 720 252 9292

Thanks all for your help

Corey
    You could get a new needle/nozzle... somewhat a risk I guess, have to figure out the cost of parts vs gun to understand what the reward would be.

logic tells me that there's basically only a couple of places the problem could be. if we have already ruled out the air cap by rotating it 180 degrees with no pattern change, and rotated the needle the same with no change, it must be a part that can't be moved to a different position. the fluid nozzle is a suspect as it always seats in the same position, or maybe something in the fan control. i'd have to take mine apart to see how the fan control is engineered to get a better sense of whether or not it could be the problem. the fluid nozzle is my prime suspect as it gets taken on and off every time you clean the gun, and it would be easy to deform the tip of it with the slip of a wrench or dropping it on something hard.
    one more thought. look at the needle and the way it seats in the nozzle. as you pull the trigger back slowly, look to see if it's centered in the opening. see if rotating the fluid control moves the needle at all. (makes it wobble in the opening) i can't remember how the needle packing is arranged, but you might take it apart and look to see if there's something displacing the needle off to one side or the other.
    b marler

A long time ago I assembled a spray gun and destroyed the needle and fluid tip. I installed the needle first and turned the needle adjustment in too far so when I tightened the fluid tip the needle got pressed against the tip and bent the needle and also damaged the tip. Never did that again.

logic tells me that there's basically only a couple of places the problem could be. if we have already ruled out the air cap by rotating it 180 degrees with no pattern change, and rotated the needle the same with no change, it must be a part that can't be moved to a different position. the fluid nozzle is a suspect as it always seats in the same position, or maybe something in the fan control. i'd have to take mine apart to see how the fan control is engineered to get a better sense of whether or not it could be the problem. the fluid nozzle is my prime suspect as it gets taken on and off every time you clean the gun, and it would be easy to deform the tip of it with the slip of a wrench or dropping it on something hard.
    one more thought. look at the needle and the way it seats in the nozzle. as you pull the trigger back slowly, look to see if it's centered in the opening. see if rotating the fluid control moves the needle at all. (makes it wobble in the opening) i can't remember how the needle packing is arranged, but you might take it apart and look to see if there's something displacing the needle off to one side or the other.
    Thanks for the help bmarler. I'm looking at the needle as it moves back and forth and it appears centered the whole way. I also tried it with the fan control in and out too I'm not sure how to take the fan control apart. Does the fan control knob just screw all the way out?

@MidnightOilJK was nice enough to facetime me yesterday and we went through some things with the gun. He had me turn it down to 5 psi and it did spray even then. But once it got turned up to 10 and beyond and started to be uneven. So maybe it does have to do with the fan control.

I ended up ordering a new 4600 extreme from Len this morning. I think it would take time to get parts ordered for this thing and without knowing exactly what's wrong I would just be guessing, and I need the gun in a few weeks to spray my Chevelle.

Thanks again

Corey

Thanks for the help bmarler. I'm looking at the needle as it moves back and forth and it appears centered the whole way. I also tried it with the fan control in and out too I'm not sure how to take the fan control apart. Does the fan control knob just screw all the way out?

@MidnightOilJK was nice enough to facetime me yesterday and we went through some things with the gun. He had me turn it down to 5 psi and it did spray even then. But once it got turned up to 10 and beyond and started to be uneven. So maybe it does have to do with the fan control.

I ended up ordering a new 4600 extreme from Len this morning. I think it would take time to get parts ordered for this thing and without knowing exactly what's wrong I would just be guessing, and I need the gun in a few weeks to spray my Chevelle.

Thanks again

Corey
    ok, new gun on the way. probably a good call so there's no issues with your project.
    every paint gun is a little different, but typically, the fan control comes out as an assembly. then there would be a clip/clips to remove to disassemble.
    they're usually pretty well tightened in the gun body, and take some effort to remove. i have to wonder if there's some piece of debris in there causing your issue.
    b marler

ok, new gun on the way. probably a good call so there's no issues with your project.
    every paint gun is a little different, but typically, the fan control comes out as an assembly. then there would be a clip/clips to remove to disassemble.
    they're usually pretty well tightened in the gun body, and take some effort to remove. i have to wonder if there's some piece of debris in there causing your issue.
    Ok, I found the nut on the gun to take the fan control piece out. There was some residue on the fan rod. I cleaned everything good and put it back together. Did not make a difference in the pattern though. Good to know though that I need to clean that area though.

It's weird that I have the right pattern at 5 psi but progressively gets worse up to 30 psi.

Ok, I found the nut on the gun to take the fan control piece out. There was some residue on the fan rod. I cleaned everything good and put it back together. Did not make a difference in the pattern though. Good to know though that I need to clean that area though.

It's weird that I have the right pattern at 5 psi but progressively gets worse up to 30 psi.
    are you running the guns air valve fully open? (by the air inlet)
    b marler