TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Acrylic enamel questions

Default Acrylic enamel questions

Iím painting a hood, fenders and flairs on a 2002 silverado. I decided to use single stage since I anticipate the truck being scratched throughout its life and it will be easier to touch up. I want to the paint store and bought paint with the understanding it was urethane. After I painted the backside of everything I checked the label on the cans and realized it was acrylic enamel. When I was at the store I asked the clerk if I needed hardener and they said I did not. Now the backside of everything is finished in un-catalyzed acrylic enamel. My question is can I finish the front of the panels with acrylic enamel using hardener, or will it lift on the edges where the two meet? What are my other options at this point?

Quote Originally Posted by Dobermanoly View Post
    Iím painting a hood, fenders and flairs on a 2002 silverado. I decided to use single stage since I anticipate the truck being scratched throughout its life and it will be easier to touch up. I want to the paint store and bought paint with the understanding it was urethane. After I painted the backside of everything I checked the label on the cans and realized it was acrylic enamel. When I was at the store I asked the clerk if I needed hardener and they said I did not. Now the backside of everything is finished in un-catalyzed acrylic enamel. My question is can I finish the front of the panels with acrylic enamel using hardener, or will it lift on the edges where the two meet? What are my other options at this point?
    If the edge lifts it probably won't be caused by the hardener, it's usually caused by the solvent (reducer) in the paint. We rarely spray enamel/urethane without hardener. We normally add a low cost hardener to low cost enamels. We've been using the low cost High Teck hardener shown below which costs $25 per quart and is mixed 4 to 1 with our enamels. This product is not in our online store, if you want to purchase it from us you would need to call us at 1-609-859-3670.

the time to read the label is before you even buy the paint. then you know if you need to buy hardener or not. any decent single stage, whether urethane or acrylic enamel, will need hardener for the best result.
    your real problem now is, the areas you did without hardener will take longer to cure and are more likely to lift with the solvents of the new paint biting in. i would wait as long as possible, or bake the stuff you did in the sun for a while. use transition tape at the edges and hope for the best. the transition tape will help make a fuzzy edge that's not full wet, so less likely to lift.
    if there's any overspray on the fronts of the panels i'd take it all off before proceeding.
    b marler