TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Hood prep?

Default Hood prep?

Got a used 1987 hood original paint some rust spots can I just spot epoxy prime just the rust spots after the rust is removed 85F457D6-C149-4C97-8AA0-97806AFD99E4.jpg2134329E-21D0-4C83-9277-E18F0941BBA9.jpg5AC94365-EE42-42DA-9D66-0E50AC8F17EB.jpg

If you are doing it for yourself you can do just about anything but if it were me I would mix up 10 oz of epoxy and put it on everywhere. Not much more of a job considering you have to prep the hood and then clean the gun when done. It shouldnít take but three extra minutes to shoot the whole thing but you only have to satisfy yourself. Hang it from the ceiling with wire through the holes on the edge and get both sides too. That's my take. Iíve done small patches of epoxy where there are lots of obstacles to doing the entire panel like a floor patch where you havenít removed the other seats and carpeting is still on 75% of the floor or cowl patch when the engine is still in the truck and it comes out ok. Itís just that you have such an easy opportunity to get it all done at once.

Bob K

Quote Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
    If you are doing it for yourself you can do just about anything but if it were me I would mix up 10 oz of epoxy and put it on everywhere. Not much more of a job considering you have to prep the hood and then clean the gun when done. It shouldnít take but three extra minutes to shoot the whole thing but you only have to satisfy yourself. Hang it from the ceiling with wire through the holes on the edge and get both sides too. That's my take. Iíve done small patches of epoxy where there are lots of obstacles to doing the entire panel like a floor patch where you havenít removed the other seats and carpeting is still on 75% of the floor or cowl patch when the engine is still in the truck and it comes out ok. Itís just that you have such an easy opportunity to get it all done at once.

Bob K
    good advice. no, great advice. there's just no downside to covering the whole thing.
    b marler

Thanks for the info Iíll prime everything