TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Spot Epoxy Priming?

Default Spot Epoxy Priming?

Hi guys. Hope this is an okay section to post this. Feel free to move if necessary. My old truck has many layers of old paint on it. I'm working on various spots (welding patches) where's there's been damage or rust. I would like to epoxy prime the bare metal and proceed to filler right after. I'm worried the metal may flash rust before I prime the whole truck. It's a slow rebuild. I believe filler will bond to epoxy well and I like the fact of the epoxy sealing my weld work rather than the other way around. Is this an okay way of proceeding? Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

i do that regularly. it takes me ages to do an entire vehicle so i go in sections just like you. i like to epoxy over the metalwork and apply filler right away. then seal over the filler with more epoxy and then 2k urethane when i'm in the epoxy recoat window.
    sometimes i'll just seal the filler with epoxy and leave it that way till i'm done with all the metal work, then scuff everything and add epoxy sealer, then the 2k urethane for blocking. kind of depends on the project. typically epoxy outside of the recoat window should be coated with more epoxy before going the urethane for blocking. supposedly that gives the best adhesion.
    does it really matter? who knows. i do it though, just to be thorough.
    b marler

An alternative is use something like picklex to protect against rust while you work the rest of the panel. Its much quicker to spray and wipe, than mix/spray/clean up... when you finish the panel, spraying the panel as whole enables you to get a nice even coat of primer.

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    i do that regularly. it takes me ages to do an entire vehicle so i go in sections just like you. i like to epoxy over the metalwork and apply filler right away. then seal over the filler with more epoxy and then 2k urethane when i'm in the epoxy recoat window.
    sometimes i'll just seal the filler with epoxy and leave it that way till i'm done with all the metal work, then scuff everything and add epoxy sealer, then the 2k urethane for blocking. kind of depends on the project. typically epoxy outside of the recoat window should be coated with more epoxy before going the urethane for blocking. supposedly that gives the best adhesion.
    does it really matter? who knows. i do it though, just to be thorough.
    Sounds good Marler! Good to know I'm kinda on the right track. Thanks for your advice.

Quote Originally Posted by fj5gtx View Post
    An alternative is use something like picklex to protect against rust while you work the rest of the panel. Its much quicker to spray and wipe, than mix/spray/clean up... when you finish the panel, spraying the panel as whole enables you to get a nice even coat of primer.
    Yes I understand the quality's of Picklex. It's a little difficult for me being up north here, however, things are changing at the border so it is also an option for the future. Thanks for your input.