TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: dodge ram bed side repair - bonding vs welding

Hybrid View

Default dodge ram bed side repair - bonding vs welding

So I have this dodge bed side to repair. I have new outer wheelhouse and new skin patch. Thinking maybe bond the patch to the house, instead of plug welding it with the mig. What products work best for bonding that area? I'll likely butt weld the patch in, but was thinking why not also bond the inner and outer wheelhouse too?

Thanks!

Iíve never used adhesive for body work, but hear it works pretty good. I searched through this site, several posts on its use, seems there are pros and cons on using it.
    Good luck with whatever you decide.
    Motor Safe,
    Lee

I use 3M panel bonding adhesive.

Len sells Fusor which is also good panel adhesive.

I personally would use the panel bonding adhesive as opposed to plug welding a patch on outer body panel. If done right the metal around panel bond will tear before the bond fails.
    LS says "Lets Go Brandon". He's like that.

I’ve heard that about bonding adhesives, that it’s not tearing apart anytime soon. Talked to some of our local body shops, that’s about all they’re using for their panels. I know with the welding skills I don’t have, adhesives will be my choice if I ever mess with replacing panels again.
    Motor Safe,
    Lee

I just replaced side bed on 2016 gmc Sierra 3500 HD..
    The truck is used for towing horse trailer and has a fifth wheel...it was both glued and spot welded at the factory...

Now cheap ass insurance company only paid for glueing procedure...yes, its supposed to be strong enough, but i always make it stronger as OEM, this panel will get abused..

I will charge insurance cimpany extra 2 hours for welding..

So i both glued it and welded it....i line and set up panels, glue applied, medium setting work time, about 90 min, then I clean the glue around plugbweld holes and mig welded with full peneetrstion...., the gkue around the welded cures immediately, and it will help against corrosion and moisture...

So on these work trucks, I would both glue and weld, doesn't take much longer..

Outer pieces or patch panels, you can just place the patch inside, glue the edges, add few spot welds from outside so the repair line doesn't crack later. .

For many new cars now, yes, metal bonding adhesive is th3 recommended OEM procedure for overlapping joints and edges...

Gluing works great for truck cab corners, rocker panels, etc

Quote Originally Posted by baubau View Post
    So i both glued it and welded it....i line and set up panels, glue applied, medium setting work time, about 90 min, then I clean the glue around plugbweld holes and mig welded with full peneetrstion...., the gkue around the welded cures immediately, and it will help against corrosion and moisture...
    What happens to the glue when you heat it up with the spot weld?