TheCoatingStore.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dodge ram bed side repair - bonding vs welding

Default dodge ram bed side repair - bonding vs welding

So I have this dodge bed side to repair. I have new outer wheelhouse and new skin patch. Thinking maybe bond the patch to the house, instead of plug welding it with the mig. What products work best for bonding that area? I'll likely butt weld the patch in, but was thinking why not also bond the inner and outer wheelhouse too?

Thanks!

Iíve never used adhesive for body work, but hear it works pretty good. I searched through this site, several posts on its use, seems there are pros and cons on using it.
    Good luck with whatever you decide.
    Motor Safe,
    Lee

I use 3M panel bonding adhesive.

Len sells Fusor which is also good panel adhesive.

I personally would use the panel bonding adhesive as opposed to plug welding a patch on outer body panel. If done right the metal around panel bond will tear before the bond fails.
    LS says "Lets Go Brandon". He's like that.

I’ve heard that about bonding adhesives, that it’s not tearing apart anytime soon. Talked to some of our local body shops, that’s about all they’re using for their panels. I know with the welding skills I don’t have, adhesives will be my choice if I ever mess with replacing panels again.
    Motor Safe,
    Lee

I just replaced side bed on 2016 gmc Sierra 3500 HD..
    The truck is used for towing horse trailer and has a fifth wheel...it was both glued and spot welded at the factory...

Now cheap ass insurance company only paid for glueing procedure...yes, its supposed to be strong enough, but i always make it stronger as OEM, this panel will get abused..

I will charge insurance cimpany extra 2 hours for welding..

So i both glued it and welded it....i line and set up panels, glue applied, medium setting work time, about 90 min, then I clean the glue around plugbweld holes and mig welded with full peneetrstion...., the gkue around the welded cures immediately, and it will help against corrosion and moisture...

So on these work trucks, I would both glue and weld, doesn't take much longer..

Outer pieces or patch panels, you can just place the patch inside, glue the edges, add few spot welds from outside so the repair line doesn't crack later. .

For many new cars now, yes, metal bonding adhesive is th3 recommended OEM procedure for overlapping joints and edges...

Gluing works great for truck cab corners, rocker panels, etc

Quote Originally Posted by baubau View Post
    So i both glued it and welded it....i line and set up panels, glue applied, medium setting work time, about 90 min, then I clean the glue around plugbweld holes and mig welded with full peneetrstion...., the gkue around the welded cures immediately, and it will help against corrosion and moisture...
    What happens to the glue when you heat it up with the spot weld?

Default Careful...

Quote Originally Posted by fj5gtx View Post
    What happens to the glue when you heat it up with the spot weld?
    In the beginning 3M said, either GLUE or WELD. That quickly changed to GLUE a panel or section and OK to WELD at the bottom as in the rocker and glue early on was not intended for STRUCTURAL panels & joints. BOTTOM LINE is keep a safe distance between the TWO methods. SEE MFR SPECS!

The 3M product was the first and within 6 months to a year had to make a big change and not because of the product but rather the applicators of the product.

Problem was those using it early on thought TIGHTER is ALWAYS BETTER but not with this glue. People were going so tight in clamping (joining) the two pieces they were actually SQEEZING the majority of the glue out of where it should be holding. This cause 3M to add finely crushed glass to the glue strictly to ensure of space for the glue where it could do it's job. Prior to that modification, glued panels were coming apart and began to pick up a start of a bad name - when in fact it was the applicator as well as better training.

Henry

The glue stays intact, it just cures instantaneously bcs of the heat...

This is great way of doing wheel arches as it prevents moisture getting into welds

And you don't need to use super expensive bonding glues, the aftermarket stuff works well for panels..

Anything more structural, better to go with OEM approved shit..

I have done stress and pull tests on bonded panels by trying to rip it apart with my frame puller...

For anyth

Quote Originally Posted by baubau View Post
    The glue stays intact, it just cures instantaneously bcs of the heat...

This is great way of doing wheel arches as it prevents moisture getting into welds

And you don't need to use super expensive bonding glues, the aftermarket stuff works well for panels..

Anything more structural, better to go with OEM approved shit..

I have done stress and pull tests on bonded panels by trying to rip it apart with my frame puller...

For anyth
    good post, very good information. i haven't done much with bonding adhesive, but i have something coming up that i'm going to use it on.
    b marler

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    good post, very good information. i haven't done much with bonding adhesive, but i have something coming up that i'm going to use it on.
    Its an investment for sure, the applicator gun is about $70 on its own and $50 for a small amount of adhesive. I like that 3M has some protection against squishing too tight that it defeats the bonding.

Its an investment for sure, the applicator gun is about $70 on its own and $50 for a small amount of adhesive. I like that 3M has some protection against squishing too tight that it defeats the bonding.
    i have a mini twin tube dispenser that the fusor cartridges fit in. same dispenser maybe?
    b marler

Default Yes...

That is true and they (3M) did that SHORTLY after the product came out. That being said, I'm confident other makers have followed along.

AND actually we don't really hear of the panel bonding failing. If anyone has, please chime in and thank you.

Henry

I think Fusor was the first to put spacing in the mix and if you only need a small amount the Fusor Caulk Gun Conversion Kit may be a low cost option.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    I think Fusor was the first to put spacing in the mix and if you only need a small amount the Fusor Caulk Gun Conversion Kit may be a low cost option.
    Thanks Len, I'll look into that !

As long as it is not structural, additionally panel bond is extremely flammable, welds are not.

Read up on John Eagle Collision Center