TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: What are these tools?

Default What are these tools?

I have seen these exact tools near frame racks for years and never saw anyone ever use them.
    I can't figure out how you could use it. Looks like a centering device or something.

Anyone have any idea?

Brian

20220427_072307.jpg
    Touched by an Angel.

I have never seen those..
    Brian, are those protruding extensions U shaped pointy ath the ende adjustable and sliding?

At first, I thought maybe for squeezing something inwards to make it fit.....but more likely centering gouges for measuring, they clamp onto something round??...

I could have used this for tightening something ...

Quote Originally Posted by baubau View Post
    I have never seen those..
    Brian, are those protruding extensions U shaped pointy ath the ende adjustable and sliding?

At first, I thought maybe for squeezing something inwards to make it fit.....but more likely centering gouges for measuring, they clamp onto something round??...

I could have used this for tightening something ...
    Yeah, it looks like it would go on something round, that is all that makes sense but why? The wheels, that's the only thing round and I don't get it. Now there are two of us with our heads spinning. LOL

Brian
    Touched by an Angel.

sure looks like a measuring jig to me. they aren't strong enough to do any work. it looks like a double round bar or tube fits into the slots and the little catch locks it on place. maybe holds a laser or a pointer so you can gauge your pull. just speculating.
    b marler

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    sure looks like a measuring jig to me. they aren't strong enough to do any work. it looks like a double round bar or tube fits into the slots and the little catch locks it on place. maybe holds a laser or a pointer so you can gauge your pull. just speculating.
    Hmmm, wish they had some name or something, there is NOTHING on them.

Brian
    Touched by an Angel.

Not a clue. I see that the long arms are adjustable in and out. I'm wondering if it is a specialty tool for a certain make and model of car/truck.

I did a google image search of the picture you posted, Brian, and came back nada.
    LS says "Lets Go Brandon". He's like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil V View Post
    Not a clue. I see that the long arms are adjustable in and out. I'm wondering if it is a specialty tool for a certain make and model of car/truck.

I did a google image search of the picture you posted, Brian, and came back nada.
    It's crazy, they look super complicated, I am so curious!

Brian
    Touched by an Angel.

Default Just a guess...

Quote Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
    I have seen these exact tools near frame racks for years and never saw anyone ever use them.
    I can't figure out how you could use it. Looks like a centering device or something.

Anyone have any idea?

Brian

20220427_072307.jpg
    A guess based on members mentioning they have seen these near a FRAME RACK. Therefore, I might guess they work like some sort of VISE GRIP to help hold a panel in place during change!

Good tool to post!

I can conjure up at least 3 practical uses for these things in my shop...awesome

Tram gauge holder?

Welding clamps?

Quote Originally Posted by baubau View Post
    I can conjure up at least 3 practical uses for these things in my shop...awesome
    I would like to hear your at least 3 practical uses for those clamps Brian posted a picture of ?

At first I thought like the one poster who said they might have had something to do with tram gauges but he slotted hooks in the middle cancelled that.

I'll be honest and say I don't have a clue what those clamps are used for. I have never seen anything close to those tools in 40+ years of doing bodywork professionally.
    LS says "Lets Go Brandon". He's like that.