TheCoatingStore.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 37 of 37

Thread: Sanding Sag from BM Super Spec P22

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    olympia,wa
    Posts
    2,066

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_ View Post
    I wanted to report back that the respray went really well. The orange peel was minimal and I am very happy with the end result. After a day of drying/cure, the gloss is very nice as well. I would not have got there on my own, and I appreciate all the help along the way.
    terrific, that's what the forum is all about. it's always good to learn a little something.
    b marler

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Sep 2022
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_ View Post
    I wanted to report back that the respray went really well. The orange peel was minimal and I am very happy with the end result. After a day of drying/cure, the gloss is very nice as well. I would not have got there on my own, and I appreciate all the help along the way.
    Hi Patrick, Iím planning on shooting Benjamin Moore P22 on a school bus RV conversion soon. Not the ideal paint for the application, I know, but itís what I have access to and can afford. This thread seems to be the only place on the internet where thinning and spraying that paint with HVLP is discussed. Probably because neither thing is recommended in the TDS

    How is your paint job holding up after 3 months? Did it eventually cure and harden a bit? Also, would you recommend the 1.4mm tip and 10% mineral spirits (I think thatís what you eventually settled on), or do you think 1.8 or 2.0mm with less thinner would work better?

    Sorry for the barrage of questions and thanks in advance for sharing your experience!
    Eric

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    olympia,wa
    Posts
    2,066

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EricL View Post
    Hi Patrick, Iím planning on shooting Benjamin Moore P22 on a school bus RV conversion soon. Not the ideal paint for the application, I know, but itís what I have access to and can afford. This thread seems to be the only place on the internet where thinning and spraying that paint with HVLP is discussed. Probably because neither thing is recommended in the TDS

    How is your paint job holding up after 3 months? Did it eventually cure and harden a bit? Also, would you recommend the 1.4mm tip and 10% mineral spirits (I think thatís what you eventually settled on), or do you think 1.8 or 2.0mm with less thinner would work better?

    Sorry for the barrage of questions and thanks in advance for sharing your experience!
    Eric
    hi eric, i wonder if patrick will respond to this. many times we don't ever hear from people after the thread has run it's course.
    anyway, if you're going to use that paint, don't be afraid to thin it, i like xylene for this. (only thin to the point where it sprays nicely.) it will eventually harden, but it takes quite a while to reach it's maximum hardness. i would experiment using acrylic enamel hardener in it to see if it's compatible. that will give better hardness in 24 hours, and better gloss retention over time.
    just do a small sample, you'll be able to tell right away if the product are compatible.
    b marler

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Sep 2022
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    hi eric, i wonder if patrick will respond to this. many times we don't ever hear from people after the thread has run it's course.
    anyway, if you're going to use that paint, don't be afraid to thin it, i like xylene for this. (only thin to the point where it sprays nicely.) it will eventually harden, but it takes quite a while to reach it's maximum hardness. i would experiment using acrylic enamel hardener in it to see if it's compatible. that will give better hardness in 24 hours, and better gloss retention over time.
    just do a small sample, you'll be able to tell right away if the product are compatible.
    I thought it might be a long shot, but doesn't hurt to ask! Thank you for your response and suggestions. Xylene is listed as an ingredient in this paint, so using it as a thinner as you suggested seems like a fairly safe bet. Did I mention that I have a degree in armchair chemistry with a focus in "assumptions based on tenuous data"

    I'll look into hardeners to see what's available 'round here, then start testing.

    Thanks!
    Eric

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    olympia,wa
    Posts
    2,066

    Default

    all painters are armchair chemists! goes with the territory. have fun, and keep us posted.
    b marler

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    47,531

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    all painters are armchair chemists! goes with the territory. have fun, and keep us posted.
    When I experiment with a hardener I usually put a little (1/4 ounce) of paint in a paper cup, add a little hardener, stir and let it sit overnight to see if the paint hardens.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Sep 2022
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    When I experiment with a hardener I usually put a little (1/4 ounce) of paint in a paper cup, add a little hardener, stir and let it sit overnight to see if the paint hardens.
    That seems a lot simpler than mixing, shooting, and cleaning the gun just for a little test. Thanks for the tip!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •