TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: horse trailer

Default horse trailer

We have this horse trailer that is showing its age. My wife is wondering about fixing it. Not knowing what to do I bring it here. Looking at how to stop and fix the rust in several areas. The trailer is all steel and has some sort of automotive paint on it.
    20220422_191222.jpg
    Some close ups of the problem areas.
    20220422_191231.jpg
    Back gate, not a lot here, just around the hinges
    20220422_191240.jpg
    20220422_191257.jpg
    This is one of the inside, matches the second picture on the outside.
    20220422_191320.jpg
    Building my dream one piece at a time.

I've done several horse trailers inside and out. As far as the rust goes I treat it just like car rust, grind it off, treat it with Picklex 20 then fill, prime and paint. Just be sure that you SEAL the seams where the moisture gets in.

I normally paint the inside first then the outside. I like doing the exterior in two or three colors. You definitely want a Hobbyair or other supplied air system when shooting the interior. These trailers spend their time outside so use decent primer and paint or it won't last long.

i would assume it's probable some cheap acrylic enamel, or maybe even just some equipment enamel on that. either one will work ok, but if i used equipment paint i'd add hardener to it so it lasts longer.
    this is the best time to try to fix that thing, before it gets out of hand. rust will creep along under that paint unless you get after it.
    i'd probably do like len, grind it off where possible, but i'd probably spot blast the rust spots too, to be sure the seams and rust pits are clean.
    that picklex is great stuff, i use quite a lot of it, both for my cars, and boats. it's stronger than most of the treatments i've tried in the past. you just need to choose your primer for compatibility. (nothing with acid)
    on the seams i'd use the fusor seam sealer. i keep the 126ez on hand most of the time. it's the smaller tube size, but it goes a long way. get extra mix tubes too, so you don't feel like you need to prep everything all at once.
    i'd seal the whole thing in epoxy, then paint it with whatever you like.
    so, to recap, attack the rust spots first, get them treated and coated. scuff the rest, (do an adhesion test to be sure it's sound) epoxy prime, seam seal, paint.
    you might want to check with you local paint store, like rodda, or sherwin williams. i don't know what's local to you. here may be some industrial type coatings that are more cost effective than automotive paints. i know i've used some epoxy base, urethane topcoat from cloverdale that were good products. much cheaper than automotive paint, but more expensive than say, rustoleum. not to say i wouldn't consider rustoleum for that, it would work well with the addition of hardener.
    or, you can just do whatever you want.
    b marler

Awesome guys and thanks. Do I need to strip the whole trailer or just the areas where the rust is, including some overlap? If I don't strip the whole trailer what should I do with the rest of the paint before repainting it?
    Building my dream one piece at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Marten View Post
    Awesome guys and thanks. Do I need to strip the whole trailer or just the areas where the rust is, including some overlap? If I don't strip the whole trailer what should I do with the rest of the paint before repainting it?
    No need to strip the old paint unless it's peeling or cracking, just scuff it with some 600 or finer then paint.

Quote Originally Posted by Marten View Post
    i mentioned doing an adhesion test. this is a good way to gauge how sound the old paint is. you'll do a crosshatch pattern with a razor blade, (like 5-6-mm crosshatch) lay tape on it and quickly pull the tape. if it all comes off with the tape you might want to take it off.
    b marler