TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Question on repairing small holes in the hood?

Hybrid View

Default Question on repairing small holes in the hood?

Iíve searched through the site and found many different techniques to fix/repair small rust holes. Iím looking to repair a couple small rust holes in the hood on our 66 Comet, pics will be posted. Iíve cleaned the pin holes up some and they have expanded just a bit. It now looks pretty solid from what I see. The hoods inner structure sort of prevents me from getting in behind it.

I have a welder, although Iím not that experienced with it, I could give it a try. Iíd use .023 if I do use the welder, I do have a bottle on it. Iím concerned it may be a little thin where it needs work, can maybe get some copper behind the larger of the three small holes.

Iíve thought about fiberglass, seen the technique Len posted, and may try it. I really donít want to cut a patch out, but will if necessary. Iím sorta leaning towards welding it, appreciate any feedback on this, thanks for any and all responses.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Motor Safe,
    Lee

Default Of course itís larger!

Well after a few welding and blending tries, it seems Iíll be looking at possibly cutting out a patch, or fiberglass.
    The rust is slightly worse then it looked, so I might as well try to get it all, as best I can.

Pic of where Iím at with it now.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Motor Safe,
    Lee

The longest lasting repair would be to weld in a patch then seal it from behind but if you can't get behind it then I'd probably opt for aluminum tape and fiberglass. If done properly it could last quite a while.

Thanks Len, fiberglass is probably my next plan of attack. Gotta go get some more material nowÖ.
    Motor Safe,
    Lee

when there's rust holes and inner structure preventing you from getting access to the other side, it's almost impossible to just weld up from the outside. the rust behind there will be a lot worse than you think, and you'll just blow holes in it further and further away from the original perforation. maybe if the panel was acid dipped so all the rust was gone you could do it, but the remaining metal will be very thin and you'll chase the damage till you reach sound metal. the right way would be to cut out the damage till you reach good metal and weld in new. kind of like doing a partial door skin. going to be a fair amount of work but certainly doable.
    you may also be able to cut away the outer skin to reveal the point where the inner structure and skin come together, but leaving the inside skin that's folded over intact. that would enable you to properly clean and prep the inner structure so any rust won't contaminate the weld. it's hard to say what would work best without seeing it in person.
    b marler

Default Agree

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    when there's rust holes and inner structure preventing you from getting access to the other side, it's almost impossible to just weld up from the outside. the rust behind there will be a lot worse than you think, and you'll just blow holes in it further and further away from the original perforation. maybe if the panel was acid dipped so all the rust was gone you could do it, but the remaining metal will be very thin and you'll chase the damage till you reach sound metal. the right way would be to cut out the damage till you reach good metal and weld in new. kind of like doing a partial door skin. going to be a fair amount of work but certainly doable.
    you may also be able to cut away the outer skin to reveal the point where the inner structure and skin come together, but leaving the inside skin that's folded over intact. that would enable you to properly clean and prep the inner structure so any rust won't contaminate the weld. it's hard to say what would work best without seeing it in person.
    Yes I agree, my problem is that Iíd probably mess it up more trying to weld it. Iím going to give the fiberglass fix a go, see how that works. Just want it to be a decent looking driver and safe. My daughter will be happy just to drive it.

Iíve new suspension to put on the front, will work on that after I get some of this body work done. Thanks for the input.
    Motor Safe,
    Lee