TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Painting door, trunk lid and body jambs

Default Painting door, trunk lid and body jambs

I have used the same method for painting door and body jambs for decades. When painting the inside body jambs, trunk drip rails, engine compartment etc. I use the old tried and true method of folding over the tape to create a small lip that blows the paint just over the jamb roll onto the body. Using this old method allows me to do a final body sand after attaching doors, trunk lid, etc. and level the lightly blown over paint down to an even surface. Two or three years ago Len put me onto 3M's "smooth Transition Tape" 06800 for taping off inside finished body jambs. I run 2 rows of the 3M 06800 tape right up to the lid of body jamb (maybe set back 1/64") followed by a second row of this tape just behind it. This allows me to shoot base coat on body, pull first row of tape and finish with clear coat that allows the product to push up to and just under the second row of transition tape. After cut and buff this method allows for no lines to be seen after pulling final row of tape.
    My question is has anybody used this 3M transition tape on the exterior of the body for painting inside body jambs and trunk rails in place of using our old tried and true method of folded tape (see pics). While the folded tape method works great it can get very time consuming on some of these projects when taping off for inside BODY jambs, trunk, etc.. I have a new project coming up in the next few weeks I am considering trying the 3M transition tape on the outside of the body for the inside body jambs, unless someone can tell me it doesn't work well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

We use that 3M Smooth Transition Tape on almost every job we paint and it works great. We had a machine that folded the tape but the result was inconsistent so we started using the 3M tape and never looked back.

It has a small strip under it that holds the tape just off the surface causing the tape to feather the paint evenly.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    We use that 3M Smooth Transition Tape on almost every job we paint and it works great. We had a machine that folded the tape but the result was inconsistent so we started using the 3M tape and never looked back.

Len,

I get this tape from you and love it. I just have never used it on the outside body when paint inside body jambs. Are you using it in this location as well? If so I am assuming you only run a single strip of the transition tape followed by masking correct? I have a project coming up I want to use it on the outside body. Any tricks I should know about or is it straight forward like when using it inside jambs for outside body paint.

BTW, thank you for putting me onto this tape several years ago, I love it

Quote Originally Posted by Ronf View Post
    Len,

I get this tape from you and love it. I just have never used it on the outside body when paint inside body jambs. Are you using it in this location as well? If so I am assuming you only run a single strip of the transition tape followed by masking correct? I have a project coming up I want to use it on the outside body. Any tricks I should know about or is it straight forward like when using it inside jambs for outside body paint.

BTW, thank you for putting me onto this tape several years ago, I love it
    I normally do some fine sanding (1500 grit) just under where I put the tape so the edge of the paint polishes without breaking back. I clean the surface then apply the tape then mask about 1/4" from the tape and after my masking is finished I bridge that 1/4" space with masking tape. That masking allows me to remove the Transition Tape and polish the finish while the rest of the masking keeps the adjacent surfaces clean.

i haven't used it for that purpose before, (exterior) but i would think that anywhere you used the folded tape trick the transition tape would be perfect. it's awesome for doing jambs, so much faster than folding tape. plus, it doesn't "unfold" at the worst times.
    b marler

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    i haven't used it for that purpose before, (exterior) but i would think that anywhere you used the folded tape trick the transition tape would be perfect. it's awesome for doing jambs, so much faster than folding tape. plus, it doesn't "unfold" at the worst times.
    That was my thinking exactly. Going to give it a shot on upcoming project