TheCoatingStore.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stripping paint

Default A couple more pics

DS fender. Paint seems to be original, and the fenders are in great shape.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Motor Safe,
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Caveman49 View Post
    Well I did the DS fender today, took about an hour and a half to do the whole fender. I will say it will heat the metal if you run it too long in one area. I tried it on a flat area on top and it got real hot to the touch, almost burning the hand hot. So needless to say, I moved the SCT often and continuous. The drum is wearing down, but is still in fairly good useable shape.
    Here are some pics of before and after.

Attachment 33077Attachment 33078
    ok, good to know. almost every method of stripping paint produces heat, but knowing how much is a good thing so you don't warp a panel. i'd say, almost burning a hand, is too much heat. i like the tool though, i'll probably add one to the collection. the flexible drums are appealing to me. on big open areas i'll probably stick with my rotary and 80g. it's pretty efficient in that scenario.
    b marler

Default SCT

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    ok, good to know. almost every method of stripping paint produces heat, but knowing how much is a good thing so you don't warp a panel. i'd say, almost burning a hand, is too much heat. i like the tool though, i'll probably add one to the collection. the flexible drums are appealing to me. on big open areas i'll probably stick with my rotary and 80g. it's pretty efficient in that scenario.
    I need to dig out my rotary and see what itíll do, maybe on my hood or roof. I purchased this SCT at harbor freight, looks almost identical to Eastwoodís tool. Matter of fact, I just ordered a couple of Eastwoodís narrow drums for this tool. Had to buy adapters for them to fit, which they sell for$12.99. Harbor freight apparently canít keep up with the demand 🤷🏻

I have used the 40 grit on two fenders and see pics on wear. I plan on reversing the drum to get somewhat even wear on the outer edge. Pic shows how itís wearing a bit more on the outer edge. I use it more for the harder to get areas, like the curves etc,Ö
    Motor Safe,
    Lee

My local store was out of them, but supposedly another store further away has some. The back order situation of the consumables is a bit concerning, Eastwood doesn't have the 40 grit in stock either.

Quote Originally Posted by fj5gtx View Post
    My local store was out of them, but supposedly another store further away has some. The back order situation of the consumables is a bit concerning, Eastwood doesn't have the 40 grit in stock either.
    Yes I agree, it is concerning especially if you use the machine regularly. I ordered the narrow wheels from Eastwood (mentioned in earlier post) and they arrived within several days. Haven’t tried them yet but hope to see how they fit maybe today, will update when I do.

I did order a 40 grit drum from Amazon (certified through C-H-I-N-A) will see how it does when it arrives. There were good reviews on it, we’ll see.
    Motor Safe,
    Lee

Yes I agree, it is concerning especially if you use the machine regularly. I ordered the narrow wheels from Eastwood (mentioned in earlier post) and they arrived within several days. Haven’t tried them yet but hope to see how they fit maybe today, will update when I do.

I did order a 40 grit drum from Amazon (certified through C-H-I-N-A) will see how it does when it arrives. There were good reviews on it, we’ll see.
    Just checked a company I order abrasives from frequently; they show them as in-stock. Not cheap, like $45 ea... looks like they added a little more diameter so you get more use.

https://www.empireabrasives.com/coated-abrasive-drums/

Also found the amazon version, its cheaper than empire and looks like the same item. Guess I've run out of reasons to not buy that tool from HF!

Just checked a company I order abrasives from frequently; they show them as in-stock. Not cheap, like $45 ea... looks like they added a little more diameter so you get more use.

https://www.empireabrasives.com/coated-abrasive-drums/

Also found the amazon version, its cheaper than empire and looks like the same item. Guess I've run out of reasons to not buy that tool from HF!
    Yeah theyíre somewhat costly, but Iíll tell you, I worked it for several hours straight, it did good. I wear the drum more on the outer side because it gets into the formed metal better for me. Iím just going to turn the drum to the other side eventually.

I did buy the extended warranty, but what good is it if they donít have replacements in stock. I believe Iíd rather have the machine than a refund.

If your local hf has them in stock you may want to try it out, theyíre pretty good about returns if it doesnít work out. May want to get some extra 40 grit drums if they have them tooÖ
    Motor Safe,
    Lee

Yeah they’re somewhat costly, but I’ll tell you, I worked it for several hours straight, it did good. I wear the drum more on the outer side because it gets into the formed metal better for me. I’m just going to turn the drum to the other side eventually.

I did buy the extended warranty, but what good is it if they don’t have replacements in stock. I believe I’d rather have the machine than a refund.

If your local hf has them in stock you may want to try it out, they’re pretty good about returns if it doesn’t work out. May want to get some extra 40 grit drums if they have them too…
    My helper has started using one and he seems to like it but he needs to use our Makita buffer/sander with 80 grit disks to do a lot of the car where the surface is curved. I've purchased one 40 grit barrel so far that cost $50 which is about the cost of a box of 25 3m 80 grit disks or 50 High Teck disks. However if the job is easier or faster it's worth it. We'll see. So far we've done the trunk lid and the hood on this T Bird and it's used about half the barrel.

Is that a HF machine? If you used half a drum that seems like itís wearing pretty fast. I bought the narrower wheels to work the curves, havenít tried them yet, hope to this coming week. I did use the large drum on the curved areas using the outer edge.
    Motor Safe,
    Lee

Is that a HF machine? If you used half a drum that seems like it’s wearing pretty fast. I bought the narrower wheels to work the curves, haven’t tried them yet, hope to this coming week. I did use the large drum on the curved areas using the outer edge.
    No it's the Eastwood machine. We are in the business of restoring vehicles so we do things like this as quickly and as good as possible. If I was doing this as a hobby I might not be as aggressive. My helper seems to like this tool so far but we're not even halfway through the stripping so we'll see where we are when it's done.

Harborfreight sent me 2 emails today, one with a 15% off Bauer tools coupon and the other with a $15 off any purchase (HF credit card deal).

I guess procrastination paid off this time, its now sitting on the tailgate of the current project.

Congrats! Hope you like it and it works out good for you. I was at our local HF today and see they got the tool back in stock, but no drums for it. I was working on the lower portion of my ps fender with my DA and the disks kept flying off, I think theyíre real old disks, maybe thatís causing it.

May try a heat gun on the disk, possibly fresh the glue up, donno 🤷🏻*♂️ wound up finishing with the SCT.
    Motor Safe,
    Lee

Congrats! Hope you like it and it works out good for you. I was at our local HF today and see they got the tool back in stock, but no drums for it. I was working on the lower portion of my ps fender with my DA and the disks kept flying off, I think theyíre real old disks, maybe thatís causing it.

May try a heat gun on the disk, possibly fresh the glue up, donno 🤷🏻*♂️ wound up finishing with the SCT.
    Assume you're using psa, I've replaced the backing pad on my old IR DA - seemed to work alot better. It was probably 25+ years old, so was probably well past time.

Assume you're using psa, I've replaced the backing pad on my old IR DA - seemed to work alot better. It was probably 25+ years old, so was probably well past time.
    Yeah I inherited a lot of tools when my dad passed (RIP Pop), and the DA is old but works great, itís pneumatic. Iíll probably try to spray some adhesive on the pad see if that works, or see if I can find a replacement pad 6Ē for it.

Let us know how the SCT works out for you.
    Motor Safe,
    Lee

Default More info...

Yeah I inherited a lot of tools when my dad passed (RIP Pop), and the DA is old but works great, itís pneumatic. Iíll probably try to spray some adhesive on the pad see if that works, or see if I can find a replacement pad 6Ē for it.

Let us know how the SCT works out for you.
    FIRST of all, "Sorry to hear your DAD is hanging out with mine"!

Can you give us more information as to the brand/model number of this DA as I believe it should be a standard size thread to mount the pad.

Then, we can check the store HERE and find an acceptable match. I use both type pads and more of the ones that accept stick on sandpaper and a few "hook & loop". Hope we can get you up to speed.

OH! As far as being 'OLD' your DA could be new than a couple of mine. I'd bet my 'MUD HOG' is all of near 40 years old and performs as it always did!

Henry