TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Respirators in general

Default Respirators in general

I am strictly a hobbyist but in the past 40 years I have sandblasted using silica sand and have cleaned petroleum tanks (big tanks) while wearing Scott breathing air supplied full face masks. So I am somewhat familiar with respirators. For sand blasting all I ever used was a MSA Comfo Fit half mask with filters. I am in the process of restoring a 1965 Cub Cadet garden tractor which at some point I will be painting. I have joined several Cub Cadet forums and have been doing my homework on the painting process. My main question was whose paint do you use? No shortage of answers there but what I am learning is that many of these folks are using a hardener in their paint, which of course generates more questions from me specifically safety related questions. From what I gather if you are using a hardener you need to use it in conjunction with a positive pressure respirator. Is this indeed the case? Out of curiosity I have posted the question about the use of respirators when painting with a hardener. Who uses one and what type do you use. I am 65 years old and not interested in harming myself in order to have a shinier and quicker drying paint job on my lawn tractor. Years ago I painted 3 different antique JD tractors and was more than pleased with my final results. I do not recall the subject of hardener ever coming up back then. If I stay away from using a hardener am I fine with just a half mask with the appropriate filters?

Quote Originally Posted by 67flh View Post
    I am strictly a hobbyist but in the past 40 years I have sandblasted using silica sand and have cleaned petroleum tanks (big tanks) while wearing Scott breathing air supplied full face masks. So I am somewhat familiar with respirators. For sand blasting all I ever used was a MSA Comfo Fit half mask with filters. I am in the process of restoring a 1965 Cub Cadet garden tractor which at some point I will be painting. I have joined several Cub Cadet forums and have been doing my homework on the painting process. My main question was whose paint do you use? No shortage of answers there but what I am learning is that many of these folks are using a hardener in their paint, which of course generates more questions from me specifically safety related questions. From what I gather if you are using a hardener you need to use it in conjunction with a positive pressure respirator. Is this indeed the case? Out of curiosity I have posted the question about the use of respirators when painting with a hardener. Who uses one and what type do you use. I am 65 years old and not interested in harming myself in order to have a shinier and quicker drying paint job on my lawn tractor. Years ago I painted 3 different antique JD tractors and was more than pleased with my final results. I do not recall the subject of hardener ever coming up back then. If I stay away from using a hardener am I fine with just a half mask with the appropriate filters?
    Using paint without hardener greatly reduces the life of the paint job. Paint with hardener is the way to go for most applications however it is a lot more dangerous if you don't use a supplied air system because a cartridge mask can allow toxins to reach your lungs. Supplied air is best for ALL applications from painting to sand blasting. One of the most popular on the market is the Hobbyair system linked below. I normally recommend the Hobbyair 2 with the Direct Feed Hood and Lens Protectors.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    Using paint without hardener greatly reduces the life of the paint job. Paint with hardener is the way to go for most applications however it is a lot more dangerous if you don't use a supplied air system because a cartridge mask can allow toxins to reach your lungs. Supplied air is best for ALL applications from painting to sand blasting. One of the most popular on the market is the Hobbyair system linked below. I normally recommend the Hobbyair 2 with the Direct Feed Hood and Lens Protectors.

Thanks for your reply! When you say greatly reduces can you be more specific? The tractor will spend the bulk of its time out of the weather. As stated I painted tractors in the past and never used a hardener, has the make up of paint changed so that using a hardener is necessary?

Thanks for your reply! When you say greatly reduces can you be more specific? The tractor will spend the bulk of its time out of the weather. As stated I painted tractors in the past and never used a hardener, has the make up of paint changed so that using a hardener is necessary?
    No, enamel hasn't changed that much it will still take quite a while to get hard without hardener and won't get as hard. My big complaint with unhardened enamel is that it's difficult to repair if anything goes wrong. If you get a run or dirt in the finish it's much more difficult (or impossible) to remove without damaging the finish while if you add hardener you can usually sand and polish to level the paint. Without hardener a re-coat has a tendency to react and cause the paint to lift or blister unless the paint has aged much longer than if hardener was added. Those are the reasons that the businesses that apply paint on vehicles rarely uses unhardened paint.

I am pulling the trigger on a supplied air system you only have one body and mine has got quite a few miles on it. It amazes me how many folks use hardeners in their paint with the attitude just be careful and you will be fine. Lot's of lucky folks out there. I just finished talking to you on the phone and placed my order I so appreciate your time and your knowledge thank you!! Regards, Brad in Iowa

I am pulling the trigger on a supplied air system you only have one body and mine has got quite a few miles on it. It amazes me how many folks use hardeners in their paint with the attitude just be careful and you will be fine. Lot's of lucky folks out there. I just finished talking to you on the phone and placed my order I so appreciate your time and your knowledge thank you!! Regards, Brad in Iowa
    Hi Brad
    I'll be emailing your invoice to you, check it and make sure I've got everything right and you should be receiving your Hobbyair sometime next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    Hi Brad
    I'll be emailing your invoice to you, check it and make sure I've got everything right and you should be receiving your Hobbyair sometime next week.
    Did not rec. invoice yet, my email iowashovel@sharontc.net Thanks!