TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Cost of paint job

Default Cost of paint job

My son has an 07 Honda Achord that got scratched up pretty bad when his car was parked under a canvess carport and a wind storm hit and did enough damage that the car will need an entire paint job because just about every panel got deep scratches in it. The auto guy says it will be 5k-10k. I understand that he will have to get all the scratches out before he paints it, but 5-10k!
    Is there any other options out there (I did get 2 estimates)? Does Maaco do good work? Any suggestions will be appreciated. To paint this car will cost more than we paid for it.
    Thanks!
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by IHJoe View Post
    My son has an 07 Honda Achord that got scratched up pretty bad when his car was parked under a canvess carport and a wind storm hit and did enough damage that the car will need an entire paint job because just about every panel got deep scratches in it. The auto guy says it will be 5k-10k. I understand that he will have to get all the scratches out before he paints it, but 5-10k!
    Is there any other options out there (I did get 2 estimates)? Does Maaco do good work? Any suggestions will be appreciated. To paint this car will cost more than we paid for it.
    Thanks!
    Joe
    Sorry I didn't see this post until now or I would have answered sooner.

A complete paint job using semi-decent paint will probably cost you at least $2000 or more. The paint alone will probably be around $1000.

The problem with low cost work is that the cars are not prepped properly and the materials used are low cost crap that doesn't hold up well. We've done several re-paint on Maaco jobs so remember "you get what you pay for" but for a quick and cheap it may be OK.

It is impossible to do a paint job under $4000 that looms even semi decent....

It costs $700 at least to just paint a bumper....and that is using cheap solvent paint...

And I think complete paint jobs are total waste of time and money, irrecoverable, unless a classic car or emotional vehicle keeper..

Also keep in mind that if you do go the cheaper route and its not up to your standards there is a bigger cost to correct it. Any materials that are of questionable quality have to be removed to get to a solid foundation.