TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Blown away!

Default Blown away!

Just got registered for the forum and am totally blown away by all the information here. I ended up here while doing some research on paint, hardeners and reducers. It has been 20 years since I last painted anything of substance. In the past I have painted two antique John Deere tractors and a John Deere crawler. In 1987 I painted the tin on my 1967 FLH it was painted with PPG paint and the paint had a catalyst that seemed pretty high tech to me at the time. The paint was 135.00 for a quart of color and the catalyst. I was actually pretty proud of the results. My next paint project is going to be a 1965 Cub Cadet 70 Garden Tractor for which I have purchased a AEROPRO HVLP Spray gun to paint it with. In the past with the tractors I always used a PPG Non Sanding Grey Primer which may not be suitable for a car but worked fine on farm equipment. Anyways I am glad I found this forum!

Quote Originally Posted by 67flh View Post
    Just got registered for the forum and am totally blown away by all the information here. I ended up here while doing some research on paint, hardeners and reducers. It has been 20 years since I last painted anything of substance. In the past I have painted two antique John Deere tractors and a John Deere crawler. In 1987 I painted the tin on my 1967 FLH it was painted with PPG paint and the paint had a catalyst that seemed pretty high tech to me at the time. The paint was 135.00 for a quart of color and the catalyst. I was actually pretty proud of the results. My next paint project is going to be a 1965 Cub Cadet 70 Garden Tractor for which I have purchased a AEROPRO HVLP Spray gun to paint it with. In the past with the tractors I always used a PPG Non Sanding Grey Primer which may not be suitable for a car but worked fine on farm equipment. Anyways I am glad I found this forum!
    Welcome aboard, I hope we can be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by 67flh View Post
    You might find that PPG prices have changed a bit since your last paint job, but worth every penny. Last qt I purchased was $450.00 at jobber price (custom mix dbc2000 base only).

Quote Originally Posted by Ronf View Post
    You might find that PPG prices have changed a bit since your last paint job, but worth every penny. Last qt I purchased was $450.00 at jobber price (custom mix dbc2000 base only).
    Now I truly am blown away, I guess it's all relative and I am glad I will only be painting a Garden tractor.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronf View Post
    that dbc is worth it though, the coverage and consistency is fantastic compared to cheaper stuff. when you buy it you just know you can count on it. if you're working on something that matters, use the good stuff.
    a garden tractor may not fall into that category though, unless it's something special.
    b marler