TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: 1974 K5 Blazer Frame off Restoration

Default 1974 K5 Blazer Frame off Restoration

Hello all. I just joined the forum, hopefully I’m posting in the right place. As the title suggests I’m doing a full frame off restoration on an old k5 blazer. The project is actually almost done and I’m at the point where I need to dive into body filler. I wanted to start a thread here as I go through my body work journey to hopefully get good information and tips from people who know much much more than me. I feel like I have a good understanding of the necessary processes to end up with a good paint job but having never done a full paint job before I definitely lack experience. I’ll likely end up skim coating most of the body with body filler and ideally sand most of it off. But the areas the need the most attention are above the wheel arches in the back and the rockers. Although I think I ended up welding at least one thing on every panel so they all have areas that need work. Here’s what I’m dealing with 14547297-4E7A-416C-A242-8AE4FB5F62B2.jpg
    I recently finished getting it all in epoxy primer. I guess my first question is do I need to sand the epoxy before I apply body filler? I’ve heard if you don’t apply filler within a certain window (3 days or so) then you need to sand the epoxy first. Also are there brands of body filler to stay away from? Eastwood and bondo are on my radar but I’ll buy any brand as long as it’s not crazy expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake_C View Post
    Hello all. I just joined the forum, hopefully Iím posting in the right place. As the title suggests Iím doing a full frame off restoration on an old k5 blazer. The project is actually almost done and Iím at the point where I need to dive into body filler. I wanted to start a thread here as I go through my body work journey to hopefully get good information and tips from people who know much much more than me. I feel like I have a good understanding of the necessary processes to end up with a good paint job but having never done a full paint job before I definitely lack experience. Iíll likely end up skim coating most of the body with body filler and ideally sand most of it off. But the areas the need the most attention are above the wheel arches in the back and the rockers. Although I think I ended up welding at least one thing on every panel so they all have areas that need work. Hereís what Iím dealing with 14547297-4E7A-416C-A242-8AE4FB5F62B2.jpg
    I recently finished getting it all in epoxy primer. I guess my first question is do I need to sand the epoxy before I apply body filler? Iíve heard if you donít apply filler within a certain window (3 days or so) then you need to sand the epoxy first. Also are there brands of body filler to stay away from? Eastwood and bondo are on my radar but Iíll buy any brand as long as itís not crazy expensive.
    We rarely apply epoxy primer before filler but if you have I'd recommend that you scratch it real good prior to applying filler because the filler will bond better to the scratches than just dry primer.

Body filler varies a lot in both quality and price. Right now we use mostly Z-Grip because it sands easy and it's not expensive. There are better fillers but most cost twice as much as the Z-Grip.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    We rarely apply epoxy primer before filler but if you have I'd recommend that you scratch it real good prior to applying filler because the filler will bond better to the scratches than just dry primer.

Body filler varies a lot in both quality and price. Right now we use mostly Z-Grip because it sands easy and it's not expensive. There are better fillers but most cost twice as much as the Z-Grip.

Thank you Iíll look into that. What grits do you recommend to work through for filler? Iíve heard 40, 80, 120 is pretty common.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake_C View Post
    Thank you Iíll look into that. What grits do you recommend to work through for filler? Iíve heard 40, 80, 120 is pretty common.
    Yes those grits will work fine. If the filler is used over a rough surface I usually start with 40 grit but if the surface isn't too bad I start with 80 grit then finish sanding with 180 before priming.