TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Keeping rust off

Default Keeping rust off

I have a rear fender for my 68 International Harvester pickup that has the groove in it for the spare tire. The truck did not originally come with this kind of rear fender but I always wanted one and I found one so I went and bought it. It is going to be maybe a year before I'll be able to put that on and paint it. But I do want to grind the surface rust off now and stored indoors. To keep rust from coming back should I shoot it with epoxy primer after I grind it down?. I plan to grind all the paint off to bare metal.
    Thanks for any help.

epoxy will seal it for sure. you could picklex it too and it would last a long time.
    b marler

I'm with bmarler on this issue we use Picklex 20 a lot on rusted metal then we epoxy prime it using primer that contains NO ACID.

So if I picklex and then expoxy after Ive sanded to bare metal, when I get ready to paint all I have to do is sand it and paint it?

Quote Originally Posted by IHJoe View Post
    So if I picklex and then expoxy after Ive sanded to bare metal, when I get ready to paint all I have to do is sand it and paint it?
    Yes we scuff it lightly prior to priming. The way we do it is to spray using the pump sprayer, work it into the metal using a red scuff pad allow it to sit for a couple minutes then wipe off the excess with a paper towel and allow it to dry. If it's applied evenly the Picklex will protect the metal from rusting as long as water doesn't wash off the Picklex and it won't flash rust if it's kept indoors. Then scuff it before priming.

Side Note: Picklex 20 was originally invented as a welding aid on high pressured pipe, it makes your welding flow and bite much better than without it. We use it quite a bit when MIG welding. Now Picklex is used as much as a rust treatment as a welding aid.

Thank you! Great to know

I've used ospho, or phosphoric acid on my bare sheetmetal. Spray it on and wipe it off with soap and water to neutralize it. When you're ready to work with it sand it off.
    Last edited by bandaids; 06-25-2022 at 04:33 PM.