TheCoatingStore.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: questions on a rusting fender

Default questions on a rusting fender

I'm starting Bodyshop 101 in my garage with my 68 IH pickup truck. My first "challenge" is the front fenders. I tried to post pictures but I must be doing something wrong, but please advise me what I need to do. I'm thinking first is to sand all the surface rust off, bang out the dents and dings, and cut and repair the rust holes? Do I need to sand the entire fender to bare metal and is it okay where the paint is not peeling?
    If someone can tell me how to post pictures, I'll post a couple of what I'm going to be doing.
    Thanks!
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by IHJoe View Post
    I'm starting Bodyshop 101 in my garage with my 68 IH pickup truck. My first "challenge" is the front fenders. I tried to post pictures but I must be doing something wrong, but please advise me what I need to do. I'm thinking first is to sand all the surface rust off, bang out the dents and dings, and cut and repair the rust holes? Do I need to sand the entire fender to bare metal and is it okay where the paint is not peeling?
    If someone can tell me how to post pictures, I'll post a couple of what I'm going to be doing.
    Thanks!
    Joe
    My advice is have them sand/media blasted to clean bare metal inside and out. That is the only way you're going to know exactly what you're working with.
    LS says "Lets Go Brandon". He's like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil V View Post
    My advice is have them sand/media blasted to clean bare metal inside and out. That is the only way you're going to know exactly what you're working with.
    After getting blasted, then hit it with epoxy primer?

Thanks!
    Joe

Blasting and priming will work if the rust hasn't gone through the metal. In that case you can blast prime then apply body filler to level the surface then block sand, prime and paint. The paint on the rest of the fender doesn't need to be removed as long as it's not cracking or peeling but if the paint is in bad shape remove it and epoxy prime the entire fender.

If you're going to weld new metal to replace the rusted metal look HERE for some tips and if you want to do a quick and cheap method look HERE

Thanks!
    Joe
    posting pictures is a little wonky at first, but when you get the hang of it it's pretty easy. in the section where you're writing your post there's a little paper clip on the top row of the tool bar. hit that and a little window will pop up. click on "add files" on the top right. then click on "choose file" another window will pop up and you can select, then upload a file from your computer. hit insert online, then done. easy peasy.
    i'm not sure if there's a size limit, or if the site will resize, but i'm pretty sure your picture will be resized to fit. if it doesn't work try reducing the size of the picture file and upload again. good luck!
    b marler

After getting blasted, then hit it with epoxy primer?
    I peresonally would weld any patches and fix the dents before applying epoxy primer. Have the timing of welding the patch panels and fixing dents close to the same time as have the fenders media blasted. The fenders should be fine without priming for a while as long as they are indoors out of the weather and don't sit for months at a time in bare metal.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil V View Post
    I peresonally would weld any patches and fix the dents before applying epoxy primer. Have the timing of welding the patch panels and fixing dents close to the same time as have the fenders media blasted. The fenders should be fine without priming for a while as long as they are indoors out of the weather and don't sit for months at a time in bare metal.
    I have a different approach.... I never blast sheet metal unless it's just for a pitted rust spot because it's very easy to warp the metal. I normally use a sander or chemical stripper to remove paint. I apply epoxy primer immediately after it's stripped and cleaned because flash rust can start to form quickly.

Thanks guys, here's pictures of it. Thanks for the instructions on how to download it, I was doing it yesterday but for some reason it was not downloading.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Another picture.

Inside shot

I would cut out the bad metal then weld in a backing strip then lay a new piece of metal on the backing and either weld or bond it to the backing strip. The backing strip is shown on one of the links on my previous post. If possible you should get that emblem out of the way.

I thought those were speed holes.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    I would cut out the bad metal then weld in a backing strip then lay a new piece of metal on the backing and either weld or bond it to the backing strip. The backing strip is shown on one of the links on my previous post. If possible you should get that emblem out of the way.

Len, on the 3rd picture I posted (inside of fender) there's the piece of metal that I will have to cut that is separate from the fender, it's been spot welded on. It's only around 2" wide. Should I try and take the whole 2" piece off or can I cut where you have marked it out? And, there's the little bend/grove on the end, how do I make that?

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    I have a different approach.... I never blast sheet metal unless it's just for a pitted rust spot because it's very easy to warp the metal. I normally use a sander or chemical stripper to remove paint. I apply epoxy primer immediately after it's stripped and cleaned because flash rust can start to form quickly.
    I would never gove a body panel to be sandblasted to anyone (professional or otherwise) if I thought they didn't know what their doing and possibly warp the metal.

There is paint on that fender that dates back almost 70 years. I would not want any of that paint left on any fender I do because no one knows what's hiding under that paint.

That fender inner brace should be completely removed and fabricate a new piece to replace the rotted one. Once that inner brace is removed that area should be media blasted to clean bare metal. Otherwise, more hidden problems.

Len, on the 3rd picture I posted (inside of fender) there's the piece of metal that I will have to cut that is separate from the fender, it's been spot welded on. It's only around 2" wide. Should I try and take the whole 2" piece off or can I cut where you have marked it out? And, there's the little bend/grove on the end, how do I make that?
    That 2" piece should be removed or repaired. It appears that you may be able to remove it and leave the end where the grove is then weld in a new piece. Without actually seeing the details my advice may be incorrect but I think that the inner piece may be repairable. Also if you patch that exterior metal be sure to use a "good" seam sealer on the back side so that moisture can't attack your work.