TheCoatingStore.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Seal Coat

Once I put the base coat on do I have to wet sand before the clear?

Quote Originally Posted by wisconsinjimmy View Post
    Once I put the base coat on do I have to wet sand before the clear?
    typically no. read the tds for the paint you're using, it will give you all the recoat instructions. most base/clear systems are designed to put clear directly over the base within a certain time window. ideally you avoid touching the base with anything, just put the clear on.
    b marler

Thank you lets hope all goes well

The kit my son bought a Base/Clear came with a hardner where does that go? Do we need to reduce the paint the sheet says 4:1

The hardener can go in both base and clear but most products only put it in the clear. Read the technical data for your products.

Quote Originally Posted by wisconsinjimmy View Post
    The kit my son bought a Base/Clear came with a hardner where does that go? Do we need to reduce the paint the sheet says 4:1
    read and follow the mixing instructions for your particular product. mix ratio can be vastly different depending on what you're using. i always start with the mix the manufacturer recommends and try a spray test on something to see how it lays out. make any adjustments before putting anything on the car. most paints can stand a little extra reducer if you need it to help reduce orange peel. go lightly though, a little can make a big difference. take notes on what you did so you can reproduce it later. note everything. temperature of the air, and car. exact mix ratio, air pressure, gun settings, get it all.
    b marler