TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: GPS tracking for classic cars

Default GPS tracking for classic cars

Okay this may be a bit off topic for P&B repair but it does tie in to some degree in terms of high end classic cars. On all of my personal classic cars and many of my fellow hot rod enthusiasts we run GPS trackers in our rides in the hope of recovering a stolen vehicle. I have used both the constant 12v hard wired versions (which I prefer) as well as stand alone battery operated. All the units I have ever installed both on my hot rods and fellow enthusiasts require a SIM card to track the vehicle live using a dedicated app from cell provider. Is there any device made for real time tracking that doesn't require me to purchase a monthly plan for these units? I use AT&T for these GPS SIM card tracking devices as they have a plan available just for this occasion but I would like to find a stand alone system that includes the device(s) and their app.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronf View Post
    Okay this may be a bit off topic for P&B repair but it does tie in to some degree in terms of high end classic cars. On all of my personal classic cars and many of my fellow hot rod enthusiasts we run GPS trackers in our rides in the hope of recovering a stolen vehicle. I have used both the constant 12v hard wired versions (which I prefer) as well as stand alone battery operated. All the units I have ever installed both on my hot rods and fellow enthusiasts require a SIM card to track the vehicle live using a dedicated app from cell provider. Is there any device made for real time tracking that doesn't require me to purchase a monthly plan for these units? I use AT&T for these GPS SIM card tracking devices as they have a plan available just for this occasion but I would like to find a stand alone system that includes the device(s) and their app.
    That's interesting and a smart investment but I have no info on the topic. I wish I had one when my 60 Chevy convertible was stolen and never to be seen again.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    That's interesting and a smart investment but I have no info on the topic. I wish I had one when my 60 Chevy convertible was stolen and never to be seen again.
    Damn Len that is heart breaking. I love the 59' (batwing) to 64' Impalas.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronf View Post
    Damn Len that is heart breaking. I love the 59' (batwing) to 64' Impalas.
    What's really a bummer is that I bought it from the grandfather of a friend who was tall and he couldn't wear his favorite hat in a hard top so he purchased the convertible. When I bought it it only had 25,000 miles on it and I only had if for about 6 months when it was stolen from a shopping mall at Christmas.

damn len, that sucks. i had a buddy with a '59 panel wagon, don't see those every day. love the rear end treatment on those.
    as far as the tracker goes, it would be news to me if there's one without a subscription. i hate how many things want to constantly pick away at your bank account with the automatic payments. maybe a prepaid cell phone tucked away with a "find my phone" app installed? then if it's bluetooth connected to your infotainment system you could message the asshole that stole it.
    b marler