TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Scratch ?

Default Scratch ?

I bought plastic stone guards and they have some scratch’s.can I sand them smooth first or should I scuff and prime
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Variables!

Quote Originally Posted by jack7787 View Post
    I bought plastic stone guards and they have some scratch’s.can I sand them smooth first or should I scuff and prime
    Oh that word that seems to haunt all we do!

Where will these be mounted as to be subjected to "road debris" (stones & sandblasting?)

Second concern would be what did you intend to refinish them with; a gloss, a texture, or ? It all matters as I've seen people who absolutely need these coated properly to lessen damage yet others who finish them off on some show machine with a 90%+ for show only.

Keep us posted and take care!

Henry

Top of bumper under header panel.I’d like to paint gloss black

Default Yes...

Top of bumper under header panel. I'd like to paint gloss black
    That seems a very doable area for refinish in nice gloss paint. Take a look at those type bumper arrangements and that area does not seem subject to direct impact of stone/sand. What type of paint are you thinking?

Take care!

Henry

We would sand down the scratched areas until the scratch is gone but extend the sanded area so that you don't have a dip where the scratch was then apply a filler primer over the low spot and apply a light guide coat, allow the primer to harden then block sand with some 600 wet. Use the same sandpaper to sand the entire piece then paint.

Gonna paint black single stage.Is there a filler primer Made especially for plastic

Gonna paint black single stage.Is there a filler primer Made especially for plastic
    As long as the plastic is sanded with around a 220 or 320 grit sandpaper then the primer should adhere well. If the plastic is flexible you should add some flex additive to the primer.

Can I use this for primer on plastic parts

Can I use this for primer on plastic parts
    You may be able to use that, I'm a fan of two part primers with a flex additive mixed in.

What’s a good primer and flex additive

What’s a good primer and flex additive
    We use High TecK filler primer and activator. We can have it shipped to you but you may be able to buy it locally. We sell High Teck for $29 per quart for the primer and $40 for the activator. For a flex additive almost any brand will do a decent job. A decent primer and the flex additive can also be found at "The Coatings Store" linked from the banner at the top of this page.

Last edited by Len; 01-06-2022 at 08:50 AM.

What plastic is this. I’d like to know before I buy primer it’s from a 1987 ford crown Victoria

What plastic is this. I’d like to know before I buy primer it’s from a 1987 ford crown Victoria
    We rarely check the type of plastic, we use a decent adhesion promoter on a sanded surface and a flex additive in the clear or single stage paint.