TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Touching up Tri-Coat Paint

Default Touching up Tri-Coat Paint

The plastic bumper on our Kia minivan has some scratches that I'd like to touch up (they go through to the black plastic). It's a pearlescent white paint. I have sourced the paint as a separate base coat and mid-coat and was wondering what the best way to apply them to the scratch is, please? Should I apply them just as I would if spraying? i.e. base -> dry -> mid -> dry -> clear. Or can I just mix the base and mid coat together for a simple touch-up? I'll just be dabbing it on with one of those tiny touchup sticks. Many thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Alanine View Post
    The plastic bumper on our Kia minivan has some scratches that I'd like to touch up (they go through to the black plastic). It's a pearlescent white paint. I have sourced the paint as a separate base coat and mid-coat and was wondering what the best way to apply them to the scratch is, please? Should I apply them just as I would if spraying? i.e. base -> dry -> mid -> dry -> clear. Or can I just mix the base and mid coat together for a simple touch-up? I'll just be dabbing it on with one of those tiny touchup sticks. Many thanks!
    Brushing on the tri-coat is probably not going to match the existing color but it will look better than the scratch. Apply each coat separately.

You would be better off to buy some pre-packaged touch up paint made
    for your vehicle, there are plenty of suppliers on line, and you can also get it at the dealership.
    It will come in a small bottle with a brush and probably only be 1 step,
    just brush it on.

Quote Originally Posted by JCCLARK View Post
    You would be better off to buy some pre-packaged touch up paint made
    for your vehicle, there are plenty of suppliers on line, and you can also get it at the dealership.
    It will come in a small bottle with a brush and probably only be 1 step,
    just brush it on.
    I agree, while I've never done it a small touch up bottle will probably do the job.