TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: How much time is allowed between Wet-sanding and Base coat?

Default How much time is allowed between Wet-sanding and Base coat?

I've finished wet-sanding tonight, but may not be able to apply Base and clear tomorrow, How long can I go between them? what to do if time "expires"? (using PPG DBC paint & 4000 clear)
    Thanks
    Ron

Default Gray Suff Pad

I would use a New clean gray suff pad before your base coat. I have read that some primers will "Heal back up" after 24 Hrs of sitting and should be sanded.

I normally paint within 48 hours after final sand. If I go longer I wrap and cover it well as to keep contaminants out and shop environment from leeching over into booth. Tommie.b has it right, clean with a gray scotch pad. I use gray scotch pads on all final cleanings regardless of how long panel has sat and you are good too go.

Quote Originally Posted by tommie.b View Post
    I would use a New clean gray suff pad before your base coat. I have read that some primers will "Heal back up" after 24 Hrs of sitting and should be sanded.
    that is correct, some primers self heal and will need resanded if sit to long, others cant even go in the sun for a few hours without breaking down, follow the tech sheet but it is always good practice to re scuff before painting