TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Wax and Grease remover

Default Wax and Grease remover

I ran out of my normal PPG SX320 W&G remover and picked up a qt of Custom Shop Series KW901 locally for final wipe until my jobber can resupply my normal product. Now I'm getting what appears to be either fish eyes or air bubbles in the clear. Anybody have experience with the Custom Shop Series W&G remover?
    Last edited by Ronf; 06-10-2021 at 06:52 PM.

Update, friend of mine brought by some Eastwood W&G remover, problem cleared right up on test panel. Hood came out perfect. Curious if anyone has had problems with different W&G removers for final wipe before spraying or a similar problem. Think I'll start double checking my stock..lol

Quote Originally Posted by Ronf View Post
    Update, friend of mine brought by some Eastwood W&G remover, problem cleared right up on test panel. Hood came out perfect. Curious if anyone has had problems with different W&G removers for final wipe before spraying or a similar problem. Think I'll start double checking my stock..lol
    Hey Ronf,
    Remember this thread?
    He was having some sort of compatibility issue too and claimed that when he didnít use the W&G remover the problem went away.
    At first I thought to myself it was B.S. but maybe there is something to this. I wonder what type W&G remover he was using?

free pic hosting[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by UKM3 View Post
    Thanks for all the responses gents - just to update, today I wet sanded everything back to square one - and did virtually the same process as before. The coats of base coat went on fine

The only difference this time was that I didnít clean the panel with a wax and grease remover - I read somewhere else that it can cause issues with filler.

Seems to have done the trick!

Just want to say a huge thank you to everyone for their help on this great forum - Iím a complete novice but feel slightly more confident that I can actually spray something !

I'll bet I've used a dozen different brands of G&W removers with no problems other than dry times. I prefer removers that don't dry too slow or too fast. Some people make the mistake of using thinner or reducer to do this job but usually find out quickly that stronger solvents can work against you.

i've never used that brand of wax and grease remover. this thread made me remember back though. an old timer i used to work with back in the 80's used to do a final wipe with gasoline. i did it too quite a few times, but when the ppg rep came to my shop and saw it he convinced me to use their product. been using the ppg ever since.
    believe it or not, the gasoline would tend to repel dust. we shot lacquer, enamel and acrylic enamel over it.
    b marler

Default Really ?

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    i've never used that brand of wax and grease remover. this thread made me remember back though. an old timer i used to work with back in the 80's used to do a final wipe with gasoline. i did it too quite a few times, but when the ppg rep came to my shop and saw it he convinced me to use their product. been using the ppg ever since.
    believe it or not, the gasoline would tend to repel dust. we shot lacquer, enamel and acrylic enamel over it.
    Glad I got to know you (here) and do trust what you say. One 'would' think the lacquer would 'fisheye' or craze with the oil left from gasoline.

W&G Remover: This is a needed product but I see it used so incorrectly from how we were taught years ago. You see guys on YouTube literally wetting large sections of a vehicle, like the entire side or entire hood to the point you can see the product haze over and dry BEFORE they attempt to wipe it off. AND too many sessions of application.

WE LEARNED: Use 2 hands. Wipe it on and wipe it off and DON'T let it dry. For me, I wash a vehicle of stains first till it appears clean. Then W&G R. If this vehicle was not subject to sitting around other people or contaminating overspray from other products, no need to do again. And I NEVER use it just PRIOR to paint. For my own finger prints I'll spray WINDEX sooner than W&GR.

BELOW is more than you should need to know about many FACTS on W&G REMOVERS written by one of our own members (from the CLASSROOM here Have a look:

http://www.autobodystore.com/ms8.shtml

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    Glad I got to know you (here) and do trust what you say. One 'would' think the lacquer would 'fisheye' or craze with the oil left from gasoline.

W&G Remover: This is a needed product but I see it used so incorrectly from how we were taught years ago. You see guys on YouTube literally wetting large sections of a vehicle, like the entire side or entire hood to the point you can see the product haze over and dry BEFORE they attempt to wipe it off. AND too many sessions of application.

WE LEARNED: Use 2 hands. Wipe it on and wipe it off and DON'T let it dry. For me, I wash a vehicle of stains first till it appears clean. Then W&G R. If this vehicle was not subject to sitting around other people or contaminating overspray from other products, no need to do again. And I NEVER use it just PRIOR to paint. For my own finger prints I'll spray WINDEX sooner than W&GR.

BELOW is more than you should need to know about many FACTS on W&G REMOVERS written by one of our own members (from the CLASSROOM here Have a look:

http://www.autobodystore.com/ms8.shtml

Henry
    henry,
    i would never advocate using gasoline now, that's for sure. the gas formulations of the 80's are surely different than todays. maybe the lead was beneficial. even back then i thought it was a little sketchy till i saw it work with my own eyes. i was just having a little memory of how things have changed over the years. (decades)
    it's funny, i would never use windex before paint, but i'd surely use w&g remover. got to do it right though or you're just making trouble for yourself. then we could talk tack rags and the things they help prevent unless you don't use them properly...
    b marler

Quote Originally Posted by S-C View Post
    Hey Ronf,
    Remember this thread?
    He was having some sort of compatibility issue too and claimed that when he didnít use the W&G remover the problem went away.
    At first I thought to myself it was B.S. but maybe there is something to this. I wonder what type W&G remover he was using?

free pic hosting
    [/QUOTE]

SC,

Now that you bring it up I do remember that thread. However I think his was application error as he had some tremendous lifting, while I only had a few air bubbles or fish eyes on a test panel. I think the problem with the Custom Shop brand was also my error. On this occasion I was doing a CC correction on a friends hood that he had painted which had several CC breaks. The upside to this is the problem only occurred on a test panel, not the hood. I think I pushed it too quickly as I wasn't expecting any problems. If I can I always try to test "new too me" products before they go on a finished panel. I use DevilBiss paint prep wipes so obviously that wasn't the problem. I may have even forgot to come behind it with a dry wipe afterwards as well, which I always do. I've never experienced a problem with W&G remover but I know painters who refuse to use it, not sure why.

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    bmarler,

My first thought when I read gasoline was WOW! But I too thought back to my early years and some of the crazy products or procedures we used backed then. In the 70's I started as a scratcher for an Earl Scheib paint shop and Like you we had an old timer who was our head painter (everyone above 30 is old when your 16), who mentored me. I can remember thinking on many occasions "how the hell is this old man still alive". To this day I wish I could lay paint as well as him.

Default bmarler, ronf & anyone else...

bmarler,

My first thought when I read gasoline was WOW! But I too thought back to my early years and some of the crazy products or procedures we used backed then. In the 70's I started as a scratcher for an Earl Scheib paint shop and Like you we had an old timer who was our head painter (everyone above 30 is old when your 16), who mentored me. I can remember thinking on many occasions "how the hell is this old man still alive". To this day I wish I could lay paint as well as him.
    Through the early 60s (maybe some 50s), I was a kid and my parents bought our first gas push mower from (you guessed it) SEARS!

Anyway, the owner's manual on that and other like items stated, "To clean oil or grease off this unit, simply use GASOLINE and a rag!"

Can you imagine that and it lasted till NEAR late 60s.

Ronf, not sure why but I always figured you for not over 40. So, no wonder you're well versed in old school. GUYS, we had great MENTORS!

Henry

I have been using PPG's W/G remover for 2 decades. mostly because it works & when something works I always hate to change & risk problems. I remember the thread where somebody had mention using windex & I tried that on something small a ago or so ago when I was out of my go to product. Seemed fine, but still made me nervous. I usually slop on with one rag & used another to finish cleaning & drying. change toweling each panel. There are times when it takes quite a while for it to fully evaporate. I wonder now if some of these other products look dry, but maybe they are not?

Its funny because going way back I never used anything until I had a problem where I must have touched the surface of the car & the fist coat went crazy on what looked like finger prints. After that I used WG every time. My very fist paint jobs I had no wall regulator, no tack rags, no WG, no inline air filter, etc. Now I use all of those things religiously.

EDIT: I need to update my avatar pic. the GTO has been finished for over 18 months & is no longer red. Thats a 20 year old picture from 2001 when I bought the car. I'll start a thread on that one of these days.

Default Yes sir...

Quote Originally Posted by 68ragtop View Post
    I have been using PPG's W/G remover for 2 decades. mostly because it works & when something works I always hate to change & risk problems. I remember the thread where somebody had mention using windex & I tried that on something small a ago or so ago when I was out of my go to product. Seemed fine, but still made me nervous. I usually slop on with one rag & used another to finish cleaning & drying. change toweling each panel. There are times when it takes quite a while for it to fully evaporate. I wonder now if some of these other products look dry, but maybe they are not?

Its funny because going way back I never used anything until I had a problem where I must have touched the surface of the car & the fist coat went crazy on what looked like finger prints. After that I used WG every time. My very fist paint jobs I had no wall regulator, no tack rags, no WG, no inline air filter, etc. Now I use all of those things religiously.

EDIT: I need to update my avatar pic. the GTO has been finished for over 18 months & is no longer red. Thats a 20 year old picture from 2001 when I bought the car. I'll start a thread on that one of these days.
    You know, I always enjoy hearing from you so thanks for the new post.

Yeah, catch up on the GREEN machine which calls to mind (FOR YOU):

When I was in the ARMY and out of the country for over 1 & 1/2 years I lost touch with the most important time of year: NEW CAR reveals! So anyway, I was upset about it. Wrote to PMD (Pontiac Motor Division) and told them I parked my 65 GTO left in 67 and don't know nuttin!

Well, they sent me several factory/dealer pictures in a tube (rolled up). One was a 2dr HT GREEN like yours that I put on the corner of the 90 degree of the wall over my (homemade) desk with a light behind it. ANYWAY, over the next month or so, I will go find them all and I'd like to send them TO YOU if you want them.

Oh and Windex does work and Len may use it (not in place of W&G).

LASTLY: Have you seen the guys on YouTube wash more than one panel with W&G but NOT wipe it off and wipe later? Now that is just wrong. That's it, thank you for chiming in & we need pics!!!

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    Through the early 60s (maybe some 50s), I was a kid and my parents bought our first gas push mower from (you guessed it) SEARS!

Anyway, the owner's manual on that and other like items stated, "To clean oil or grease off this unit, simply use GASOLINE and a rag!"

Can you imagine that and it lasted till NEAR late 60s.

Ronf, not sure why but I always figured you for not over 40. So, no wonder you're well versed in old school. GUYS, we had great MENTORS!

Henry
    henry,

I will take this as a compliment! I haven't been 40 for more than 2-1/2 decades...lol. Just don't tell my body I'm that old or it may start hurting me!

Default Really ?

henry,

I will take this as a compliment! I haven't been 40 for more than 2-1/2 decades...lol. Just don't tell my body I'm that old or it may start hurting me!
    See, even reading what you wrote, you still seem 'young' (whatever that really means) to me.

Must be all your enthusiasm from when you came here and our thinking about finding you "fender welt" stuff.

Also, that CRISP ATTITTUDE of yours - never stop - don't give up! Just keep doing what you're doing!

Henry