TheCoatingStore.com

Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: what to do

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Kemptville, Ontario
    Posts
    105

    Default what to do

    Because of an unforseen situation on my box, I need to weld in some extra brackets as shown in the picture. The box is in epoxy primer. Should I use some epoxy primer on the brackets and then weld them in and touch up afterwards or weld first and epoxy afterwards. Yes I will grind off some of the epoxy before welding. The challenge with doing the whole thing afterwards is I probably have to take the box off to spray the underside. Hoping I would not have to if I prime first. Or is weld through primer good enough. That I can get in a spray can, epoxy I need to mix.
    20210609_203338.jpg
    Building my dream one piece at a time.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    1,008

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marten View Post
    Because of an unforseen situation on my box, I need to weld in some extra brackets as shown in the picture. The box is in epoxy primer. Should I use some epoxy primer on the brackets and then weld them in and touch up afterwards or weld first and epoxy afterwards. Yes I will grind off some of the epoxy before welding. The challenge with doing the whole thing afterwards is I probably have to take the box off to spray the underside. Hoping I would not have to if I prime first. Or is weld through primer good enough. That I can get in a spray can, epoxy I need to mix.
    20210609_203338.jpg
    I would use the weld through primer, just be sure and grind back about Nickle to quarter size around hole else it will splatter like crazy. I use a lot of weld through primer and this is one of the few products I use in a rattle can

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    olympia,wa
    Posts
    1,628

    Default

    i'm with ron, the weld primer is one of the few things in a rattle can i use. i don't leave it uncovered though, i epoxy over everything.
    i should mention though, i usually sand most of the exposed weld primer off before epoxy, just leaving the weld primer in the seam.
    b marler

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    1,008

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    i'm with ron, the weld primer is one of the few things in a rattle can i use. i don't leave it uncovered though, i epoxy over everything.
    i should mention though, i usually sand most of the exposed weld primer off before epoxy, just leaving the weld primer in the seam.
    Exact way I do as well. should have followed up with primer, Thanks Marler!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    44,921

    Default

    I agree that weld-thru primer is the way to go but there's a big difference in products.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    1,008

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    I agree that weld-thru primer is the way to go but there's a big difference in products.
    Len,

    I've never used the Upol weld through primer, does it splatter when welding if not grinded back? I have been using SEM product and it has a lot of splatter.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    44,921

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ronf View Post
    Len,

    I've never used the Upol weld through primer, does it splatter when welding if not grinded back? I have been using SEM product and it has a lot of splatter.
    I've noticed that it can spatter a little but it hasn't been a problem. I don't think I've ever used my MIG where it didn't spatter.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Kemptville, Ontario
    Posts
    105

    Default

    So I took some weld through primer, sprayed my parts and welded them onto the truck box frame. I need some welding practice, but that is not what I want to talk about. Here are a couple of pictures. Question, should I now sand down, scuff sand the primer and area around it and spray some epoxy over everything or something else?
    This picture is a strip of metal I spot welded at the back of the box. Welds are now ground down
    20210612_145453.jpg
    here you can see 3 of the clips, brackets I needed to weld to the existing frame work
    20210612_145520.jpg
    The why am I doing this question will be answered down the road, every day I wake up I learn something new, lol.
    Building my dream one piece at a time.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    44,921

    Default

    Yes, after grinding I'd epoxy prime and paint. If the area is exposed you might want to fill using some fiberglass filler and use a seam sealer on the other side.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    1,008

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    Yes, after grinding I'd epoxy prime and paint. If the area is exposed you might want to fill using some fiberglass filler and use a seam sealer on the other side.
    I think Len sees the same thing I do, some spot welds show areas where holes are not completely welded and may retain water. If I am wrong in this assessment just prime and paint. If you do have spots that were not completely filled with weldment then fill prior to epoxy

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    119

    Default

    If you don't care to make the edge disappear with body filler, I'd apply paintable seam sealer to make it more waterproof.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    1,008

    Default Great job

    Marten,

    Sorry I meant to say your work is first class. I love builders who are very particular on the finer aspects and attention to detail on their project. You will find many builders here who meet this criteria, not too mention they are great guys and gals. How did you find the weld through primer application? Weld through primer tends to splatter but I'm betting you acclimated quickly. Keep the pics coming, we love too share your enthusiasm.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Kemptville, Ontario
    Posts
    105

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ronf View Post
    Marten,

    Sorry I meant to say your work is first class. I love builders who are very particular on the finer aspects and attention to detail on their project. You will find many builders here who meet this criteria, not too mention they are great guys and gals. How did you find the weld through primer application? Weld through primer tends to splatter but I'm betting you acclimated quickly. Keep the pics coming, we love too share your enthusiasm.
    Thanks Ronf, you and Len are correct, there were some holes. That got fixed up but good eyes and thanks for saying something, this is all so new to me. I used Dominion Sure Seal weld through primer. As for spatter, not real sure what to say as I don't have much experience, seems to be the same for both primer and no primer I guess???????
    For the clips or 3 small brackets, yes I will put some seam sealer on the tops as well as anywhere else I can put the stuff.

    Once I had this all in place I drilled out about 50 holes to secure the bed boards down. I do try to keep things up dated where there is something picture worthy. This group although smallish is amazingly supportive, more so then other sites I visit. Thanks.
    Building my dream one piece at a time.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •