TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: airbag deployed?

Question airbag deployed?

did a prepurchase inspection on a '16 Honda Odyssey EX-L and one of the little caps over the passenger side curtain airbag in the A pillar had an edge that was popped out a little (picture below). Snapped it into place with my fingers and then it looked like the driver side (picture also below). How likely is it that the airbag was deployed vs it just being sloppy installation at the factory?

Did you turn the ignition on and watch the airbag light flash off and on several times and settle in at off. That tells you that the light is working and a self test is going on. If the light never comes on that would tell me that the system has been tampered with and needs dealership testing to find the fault.

I think that cap just covers a screw that holds the trim on. I donít know that for sure but the same kind of cap on my Silverado covers the screws that hold the hand hold to the A pillar.

Bob K

Default Really ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
    Did you turn the ignition on and watch the airbag light flash off and on several times and settle in at off. That tells you that the light is working and a self test is going on. If the light never comes on that would tell me that the system has been tampered with and needs dealership testing to find the fault.

I think that cap just covers a screw that holds the trim on. I donít know that for sure but the same kind of cap on my Silverado covers the screws that hold the hand hold to the A pillar.

Bob K
    Again, Bob K? That's twice in one day you got me.

Listen, I read what you said 3 times and still walked away fuzzy cuz it could be either way.

Anyway, you got me to look it up so the three of us know and here it is in the video below:

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by BusyBody View Post
    did a prepurchase inspection on a '16 Honda Odyssey EX-L and one of the little caps over the passenger side curtain airbag in the A pillar had an edge that was popped out a little (picture below). Snapped it into place with my fingers and then it looked like the driver side (picture also below). How likely is it that the airbag was deployed vs it just being sloppy installation at the factory?

No, that air bag has never been deployed. Air bag deployment requires a factory certified pre packed unit, not something you can just cram back in a hole. I suspect somebody got curious and lifted the edge. I very much doubt it is sloppy installation.