TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Advice needed on pulling a VW nose

Default Advice needed on pulling a VW nose

I'm trying to bring the front inner fender/bumper mount area back to the correct location on my '64 Beetle.

Looks like it had a very light hit in the past and the front apron is now sitting further back. I hammered and dollied as much of the wrinkles as I could get to both sides of. That brought the apron almost back to correct but i still lack about 1/4" or less in getting it to line up.

Is a slide hammer about the only way to get that last little bit to budge?

(picture of the inner fender with the horn is the undamaged side. The other is from the damaged side before the hammer/dolly. The photo with the white fender is as it sits now)64437543481--D514EAA0-8FC3-43C9-9FBF-2735AF4C66F5.jpgIMG-5559.jpgIMG-5558.jpg

BTW, I'm not sure why uploading photos caused them to be rotated this way?

I don’t think I can be of much help, I only did body work on one 1958 VW in Germany, but I hope you get a kick out of it. It was my first adventure in auto body repair. I had just had a head on collision at a sharp bend in a one lane dirt road. No injuries to either of us but my car couldn't be driven since the left front wheel was pushed back into the body and I couldn’t steer it. I called a friend from post and he came out with a 2-1/2 ton army truck with a chain to pull me home, about 20 miles. We talked about dragging a car that couldn’t steer and I came up with an idea. I wrapped the chain around the two torsion bars that were bent severely. I revved the engine and backed up fast about 5 feet until I got to the end of the chain that was hooked to the pintle hitch on the truck. Did this about 5 times and the bars straightened enough to drive and steer. While this was going an old guy and little kid walked up to where we were doing this redneck repair job. I spoke a little German at the time and I had my window open when I heard the kid say “What’s he doing?” and the old man just said “He’s crazy”. Maybe so but I drove the car home. I had bought the car for $200 from a GI that was rotating back to the States, the insurance company sent me $400. That was a 50% reduction of the $800 value of the car since we each were found 50% responsible for the accident. I gave the car to the owner of the gas station where I bought most of my fuel.

Bob K

i guess it boils down to what tools you have available. a controlled pull would be a good way. you could make up a bracket that bolts where the fender attaches and pull there, just be careful not to stretch the mounting holes. of course, you'd need to anchor the car so you don't just drag it across the shop. one of the biggest challenges is not creating more damage as you work.
    b marler