TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Evercoat Fiberfil G2 question

Default Evercoat Fiberfil G2 question

I'm doing body work on an aluminum hood and planning on using Evercoat Fiberfil G2 on it. Do I need to prime the aluminum with 2K or can I spray the fill directly onto the aluminum? If I can put it on directly, what grit sandpaper prep should I use?

Also have a question about applying the G2. I've never used this material so not sure about spray equipment. I'll be using a DeVilbiss gun with a 2.2MM tip. Should this work?

Thanks for the help

just wanted to clarify that it's Featherfil, not Fiberfil

Sorry, I canít speak about aluminum with authority but I think you can spray it. Check the technical data sheet from Evercoatís site for the real information. I use a 2.2 tip on my primer gun for spraying G2. Itís one of my favorites. Be in a hurry when you spray and get the gun empty and clean it very soon and very well. Itís hard to deal with once it starts setting up but itís a very nice filler and easy to apply.

Bob K

Quote Originally Posted by jime View Post
    I'm doing body work on an aluminum hood and planning on using Evercoat Fiberfil G2 on it. Do I need to prime the aluminum with 2K or can I spray the fill directly onto the aluminum? If I can put it on directly, what grit sandpaper prep should I use?

Also have a question about applying the G2. I've never used this material so not sure about spray equipment. I'll be using a DeVilbiss gun with a 2.2MM tip. Should this work?

Thanks for the help
    Yes, it MUST be epoxy primered prior to shooting the Evercoat G2 FF over aluminum or it will lift. A 2.2 tip is perfect for this application WITHOUT the 10% acetone reduction (I would still reduce with 2% acetone for that extreme smooth shot). A good epoxy primer can be expensive and adds an extra step to bare metals, this is one of the reason I switched to Evercoat Optrex 4:1 as it alleviates the need for first coat epoxy primer and spray filler (nice dollar and time savings). Feather Fill still has it's place down the road and I continue to use it, just not for initial shot. Look up the TDS for the Evercoat Optex 4:1 primer/filler, it is a nice change. If you go this route learn to do an initial surface break as this product as is like sanding concrete.

From my library dated back 01/2020 and the way I shoot Optex; Per TDS on Optex Super build 4:1,

Optex Super Build 4:1 is a two-component hybrid polyester epoxy primer
    surfacer with a patent-pending built-in guide coat that provides exceptional filling,
    patented 4:1 mix ratio technology, passes 500 hours in salt spray tests (ASTM
    B117). Compatible with waterborne paint systems and VOC compliant.
    All substrates must be properly sanded and cleaned prior to primer application
    for optimum performance.
    Must be catalyzed with 733 4:1 Polyester Primer Catalyst or 734 Fast 4:1
    Polyester Primer Catalyst only!
    SUBSTRATES:
     Aluminum
     Galvanized steel
     Fiberglass
     Rigid Plastics
     Steel
     SMC
     METTONģ
     Body Filler or Putty
    NOTE: An epoxy pre-coat is NOT required for Evercoat 4:1 polyester
    primers if a minimum of 2 coats with a dry film thickness of 4.5 – 6 mils
    (115 – 150 microns) are applied to achieve proper protection.

For Evercoat Feather Fill G2 TDS;

Feather Fill G2 is a high solids polyester primer surfacer that is VOC compliant.
    It is specially designed to hold down body repair areas and provide an excellent
    foundation for any paint system. It has excellent adhesion to fiberglass, SMC,
    body filler and wood surfaces.
    SUBSTRATES:
     Fiberglass
     SMC
     Rigid Plastics
     Body Filler or Putty
     Epoxy Primer
     Self-Etch Primer (extends dry-to-sand time)
    NOTE: All bare metal areas larger than one inch in diameter must be
    treated with a high quality self-etch or epoxy primer.