TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Bodywork and paint on my '53 Ford. Am I doing this right?

Cool Bodywork and paint on my '53 Ford. Am I doing this right?

I'm new to the board and I'm about to embark on bodywork and paint on my '54 Ford Customline. I think I have a pretty solid plan but would like confirmation that I'm doing this properly. This won't be a show car, just a clean driver. I've done a 5.0/AOD transplant, rebuilt and modded the front and rear suspensions/brakes and replaced the rotted floorpans. Now it's time to make her pretty!

today15.jpg

It'll be two tone. Calypso green with a white top. I've done quite a bit of metal replacement on the roof so I was gonna tackle that part first.

IMG_2643.jpg

IMG_2650.jpg

My plan is to 80 grit the original white paint then spread a skim coat of Rage over all the new metal and some of the original white too. Shape the skim coat of filler then prime the whole roof with epoxy primer. After that, a few thick coats of 2K urethane hi-build primer, then block that down and hopefully have a nicely contoured roof. Once the roof is done, I'll move on to the body using the same procedure.

P1010001_15.jpg

Ordering primer from Summit. Love the prices!

Summit Epoxy primer
    Summit 2K high-build urethane primer

Questions:

The new metal is ground with 36 grit so no issues with filler there however, I will be overlapping onto some of the original white paint that'll be sanded with 80 grit. Will the filler bite and hold to the 80'd factory white paint?

Also, after shooting the epoxy primer I'd like to immediately (within the hour) spray the 2K hi-build primer. Now, when I worked in bodyshops as a kid in the early '70s we always sanded the primer coat before laying on another coat especially if they were two different paints. I know technology has changed in the last 40 years so can I just lay down the 2K on top of the epoxy without even scuffing it?

Any help or comments is greatly appreciated!

As long as you're spraying your filler primer over the epoxy primer within the re-coat window of the epoxy primer you don't need to sand the epoxy.

In our shop we wouldn't spread filler over sanded paint unless the filler is needed to level surface imperfections. If we wanted a light coat of filler we would spray a filler material like Slick Sand then guide coat then block sand. Spraying a filler will give you a much more even coating than applying the filler using a spreader.

However you decide to apply your filler be sure to use a guide coat so that you can see when you get the surface level.

your going to hit the old paint with 80 grit, that's a solid plan. but i'd take it all the way to bare metal. then do your filler over bare metal with 80g scratch, seal it up with epoxy, or use the optix. ronf really likes the optix and has good results with it. i haven't had an opportunity to try it yet.
    best to get that old paint all the way off so you have a good foundation for the new finish.
    b marler

Cool

Thanks for the insight! I'll probably take the white down to bare metal with 80g and blend the filler accordingly.