TheCoatingStore.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hail damage repair and insurance

Default Hail damage repair and insurance

Last week I was coming home from our river house and drove into a hail storm with my 2007 Dodge 5.7 hemi 3/4 ton shop truck. I contacted my insurance agent for an adjustment as I carry full coverage on all my vehicles. Mind you my 2007 Dodge shop truck only has 68K miles as it is only used for a tow vehicle or parts runner. Prior to the adjuster making her assessment I tried to count the number of hail dents and gave up after counting 200 dents. Hail was so large it busted the windshield in 4 separate spots, big hail right!. I know insurance adjusters are big on PDR repair (my personal experience in PDR is limited), but it is not a fix all. On just the hood and roof alone I counted over 130 hail dents with many well over 3" diameter dents. Today I got the estimate back that claims the total damage is $1500. Hell, the windshield alone is over $400. Obviously I contacted my insurance company to get a real world estimate, just thought y'all would get a kick out of this.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (101.7 KB, 56 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (95.3 KB, 56 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (95.5 KB, 55 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (96.2 KB, 55 views)

This could be a total loss, Ron.. easily

Quote Originally Posted by baubau View Post
    This could be a total loss, Ron.. easily
    baubau,

I thought so as well. I would have just bought it back from insurance as it is only my shop truck, I "think" the truck is probably worth between $8000-9000 as it only has 68K miles and is the 5.7 hemi with towing package. I was a bit shocked when they stated $1500 total (includes the $500 deductible, so I would only realize 1K), not going to happen.

A non-PDR shop (like mine) would probably charge at least $4 to 5K or more.

Yes, Ronf..I like your truck!...it has purpose, low milage,and hard to find replacement for it..

Go to a few shops around you...."higher end' expensive shopz, then some franchise shop and some quality independent place, get estimates get the feel for itz find the average value of your vehicle and then deal with insurance...

Be prepared and don't let them write it off....

Default Oh No

Is your truck on the shop insurance or just personal ? Some co's will not let the shop profit doing their own repairs and if they total will only want to pay out a low wholesale price................don't ask me how I know. Yes you have way more then $1500 damage.

That sucks Ron,
    It seems like when your vehicle gets that old regardless of mileage, insurance will total it in a heartbeat. Doesnít matter if you owned it since new and babied it the whole time.
    There should be some of those in the wrecking yards though, and finding new hood and fenders might be possible. My brother has a similar truck with the diesel in it and picked up a whole truck with a blown gas engine. Lots of good sheet metal and interior bits for cheap. Itís the time it takes to deal with it that I hate to lose, and if you let someone else work on it I guarantee youíll be over critical of the work. (Hmm, maybe Iím talking about myself there) thereís never a winner when you have an incident and bring in the insurance, only a path to try and minimize the loss.
    Iíve never lived in an area that had hail like that, it seems like it must terrifying to go through something like that.
    b marler

Everything you showed can be pdr without issue. 1500 is a little low but a after market windsheild installed is 250 actual pdr is around 3500 just from pics .

Large and deep dents can be pdr.

Check out post 11

http://autobodystore.com/forum/showt...ost&=Paintless

Keep in mind I pushed half the dent out before the pic of it with dent then decided to take a pictures

Default Hmmmmm....

Quote Originally Posted by style View Post
    Everything you showed can be pdr without issue. 1500 is a little low but a after market windsheild installed is 250 actual pdr is around 3500 just from pics .

Large and deep dents can be pdr.
    You around price is including the hood?

I would get another hood from the boneyard (maybe even same color.)

You have the best of BOTH worlds, style, cuz you started out doing every sort of bodywork THEN to PDR. I heard of a couple guys in my area who ONLY do PDR. To me, that's a huge disadvantage.

Take care.

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    You around price is including the hood?

I would get another hood from the boneyard (maybe even same color.)

You have the best of BOTH worlds, style, cuz you started out doing every sort of bodywork THEN to PDR. I heard of a couple guys in my area who ONLY do PDR. To me, that's a huge disadvantage.

Take care.

Henry
    Lol only to quit and detail cars in the end.

IMG-20210514-WA0013.jpg

IMG-20210514-WA0020.jpg

Come on, no PDR can fix that properly..it can help to minimzes the dents..

Ronf is a particular detail oriented dude, he would never be happy...

The truck is a total loss write off....however, if Ronf gets some money to fix it from them, if they allow him to keep the car with clean branded none title, then he can fix it for cheap..

Quote Originally Posted by baubau View Post
    Come on, no PDR can fix that properly..it can help to minimzes the dents..

Ronf is a particular detail oriented dude, he would never be happy...

The truck is a total loss write off....however, if Ronf gets some money to fix it from them, if they allow him to keep the car with clean branded none title, then he can fix it for cheap..
    I pdr collision for a couple years it's very fixable with pdr.

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    That sucks Ron,
    It seems like when your vehicle gets that old regardless of mileage, insurance will total it in a heartbeat. Doesnít matter if you owned it since new and babied it the whole time.
    There should be some of those in the wrecking yards though, and finding new hood and fenders might be possible. My brother has a similar truck with the diesel in it and picked up a whole truck with a blown gas engine. Lots of good sheet metal and interior bits for cheap. Itís the time it takes to deal with it that I hate to lose, and if you let someone else work on it I guarantee youíll be over critical of the work. (Hmm, maybe Iím talking about myself there) thereís never a winner when you have an incident and bring in the insurance, only a path to try and minimize the loss.
    Iíve never lived in an area that had hail like that, it seems like it must terrifying to go through something like that.
    bmarler,
    We see quite a bit of hail in North Texas and yes it does suck. This truck has been garage kept since new and was pristine. I was less than 2 miles from home when I got caught in the hail. I have seen 3"+ size hail go completely through a windshield. In the 1990s we had such a storm that killed several people sitting in their cars. From my little experience with PDR I wouldn't be happy with it. Pics of truck don't really show how large some of these dents are (3"+ in size) as I couldn't capture them on a silver truck with phone cam. I counted over 200 hail dents on just the roof, hood and half way down driver side before I quit counting. I've talked to 3 independent glass companies and safelite, cheapest windshield was $354 installed. Insurance company agreed it does need to be re-evaluated. Regardless of what insurance states I'll be replacing some SM and repairing/painting the rest and shooting a spray liner in the bed.

Here is a news report of this hail storm I found on YouTube. I live in Keller, Texas and was at that location, literally 1 mile from home, when I got caught in the hail storm. Yep, insurance states $1500 in damage to my truck...geez.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmQKRG5q-8I

Here are a few more pics that captured the impact of this hail. Of the 200+ hail dents at least a dozen plus are this size. PDR? no thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (96.5 KB, 44 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (101.4 KB, 43 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (96.3 KB, 43 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (99.6 KB, 43 views)