TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: painting underside of hood

Default painting underside of hood

Hey guys, I am needing some advice. I am painting my hood for my 69 Cobra. I took the hood down to bare metal. I then applied fast etch (zinc dichromate) to the bare metal to keep away rust then sprayed epoxy primer on the top and underside. I then sprayed polyester sprayable filler to the top of the hood but not the underside since sanding the underside would be nearly impossible with all the nooks and crannies. I have just about finished sanding the polyester on the top and will be applying 2K urethane next then sealer then color then gloss coat (PPG). My question is should I spray 2K on the epoxy I have on the underside like I am about to do on the top or should I just skip that step for the underside and just spray sealer and color over the epoxy when I reach that point? Pics are of the underside with the epoxy. Next is the polyester sprayed over the epoxy on the top, 3rd is where I am at on the sanding of the polyester and last pic is where the rest of the car is. I think the paint on the body turned out decent. Man, that color sanding is a lot of work.

epoxy.jpg

polyester hood.jpg

guide coat.jpg

car paint.jpg

car paint2.jpg

There's really no reason to put the 2K filler primer on the underside of the hood, you can just paint over the epoxy,

the car is looking good! being the under side of the hood means it doesn't need all the attention as the top side. but you do want good adhesion. most epoxy that's out of the recoat window recommend scuff and reapply epoxy before moving on. being that this is the underside though, scuff and sealer before paint is probably fine. i like urethane sealer, but for that underside, i'd consider either thinning your epoxy or using the same manufacturers epoxy type sealer. or like lens says, just shoot over the epoxy. i'd scuff it first though.
    b marler

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    the car is looking good! being the under side of the hood means it doesn't need all the attention as the top side. but you do want good adhesion. most epoxy that's out of the recoat window recommend scuff and reapply epoxy before moving on. being that this is the underside though, scuff and sealer before paint is probably fine. i like urethane sealer, but for that underside, i'd consider either thinning your epoxy or using the same manufacturers epoxy type sealer. or like lens says, just shoot over the epoxy. i'd scuff it first though.
    Phew! I was hoping you would say that!

Did OEM spray a clear on the underside? or just color?

Quote Originally Posted by Reamer View Post
    Did OEM spray a clear on the underside? or just color?
    OEM is probably with clear but a repaint could be done either way but if it's just base it could get contaminated by dirt from under the hood or you could use single stage.

ford seems to be pretty stingy with the clear now though. my lincoln doesn't have clear under the hood or trunk lid. it's in the door jambs (barely). i had a 67 mustang when i was in high school, wish i remembered more about how it was prepared. i'm thinking that under the hood was pretty shiny though.
    b marler

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    ford seems to be pretty stingy with the clear now though. my lincoln doesn't have clear under the hood or trunk lid. it's in the door jambs (barely). i had a 67 mustang when i was in high school, wish i remembered more about how it was prepared. i'm thinking that under the hood was pretty shiny though.
    Hi Marler,

Yep, I've seen some Fords with what appears to be very thin clear, my truck being one, especially between the cab and bed, even the color seems very light in that area as well

I had a ’67 cougar I flipped back in the ‘70s, it was factory acrylic enamel and the paint under the hood was still shiny wet looking. The outside paint not so much, took many hours of polishing to get the luster back and still didn’t look as nice as the paint under the hood. That paint held up well in places where the sun couldn’t get at it… lol.