TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: DIY Spray booth

Default DIY Spray booth

Hi all, Going to be doing some shooting this spring/summer. To avoid breeze,bugs and dust from shooting outside in front of the garage I'm going to set up a pop gazebo 10x20 inside the garage. I'll set up an exhaust fan to pull out whatever overspray it can. Don't expect to have any negative pressure. My objective is to be able to shoot inside ...out of the wind, dust and leaves while preventing any overspray from getting all over my stuff stored in the garage. What say all? V

Quote Originally Posted by Vza View Post
    Hi all, Going to be doing some shooting this spring/summer. To avoid breeze,bugs and dust from shooting outside in front of the garage I'm going to set up a pop gazebo 10x20 inside the garage. I'll set up an exhaust fan to pull out whatever overspray it can. Don't expect to have any negative pressure. My objective is to be able to shoot inside ...out of the wind, dust and leaves while preventing any overspray from getting all over my stuff stored in the garage. What say all? V
    If you have a fan pulling air out of the room you'll be creating negative pressure. That's ok except it does tend to generate more dust nibs in the paint than positive pressure.

Im just going to use a square house fan. But I will eliminate overspray all over the garage ....right? Will any overspray inside the booth affect anything...or is that ok? V

i'm not sure i understand the plan. if you just exhaust the booth into the garage there'll be overspray all over. you will need to duct the exhaust somewhere outside. if you filter the exhaust, you'll catch the overspray (mostly) but still have fumes in the garage.
    box fans aren't the most efficient way to do it, but some people seem to get by.
    b marler

One end of the tent will be sticking outside the garage where the exhaust fan will be. V

Im just going to use a square house fan. But I will eliminate overspray all over the garage ....right? Will any overspray inside the booth affect anything...or is that ok? V
    there will certainly be overspray all over everything in the booth. ronf uses a spray-on product to make it easy to clean the overspray off of things. i can't remember the name of it at the moment but i'll see if i can locate it. i guess the overspray will just broom right off. pretty amazing actually.
    the other issue with overspray is how it lands on the surface you just painted. if you can't clear the booth fast enough that stuff will hang in the air for a long time. when it lands on a semi-dry surface it can affect the finish.
    b marler

What about your neighbors and objects outside

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    there will certainly be overspray all over everything in the booth. ronf uses a spray-on product to make it easy to clean the overspray off of things. i can't remember the name of it at the moment but i'll see if i can locate it. i guess the overspray will just broom right off. pretty amazing actually.
    the other issue with overspray is how it lands on the surface you just painted. if you can't clear the booth fast enough that stuff will hang in the air for a long time. when it lands on a semi-dry surface it can affect the finish.
    I was thinking the same ...that I wouldn't be able to clear the booth fast enough. Then thought maybe leave one wall open so instead of a closed booth it would just be acting as a barrier to reduce overspray in the garage. I don't know...or maybe forget the whole idea and just shoot outside.

I was thinking the same ...that I wouldn't be able to clear the booth fast enough. Then thought maybe leave one wall open so instead of a closed booth it would just be acting as a barrier to reduce overspray in the garage. I don't know...or maybe forget the whole idea and just shoot outside.
    baubau has a good point too, think about your neighbors and other outdoor items. you don't want to expose someone to the toxic fumes. keep safety in mind whatever you do. i use an old air handler from a furnace to pressurize my "booth" and have a bunch of furnace filters on the exhaust wall. it really works well and captures all the overspray that would be released outside. you could probably get a fan like mine from a company that does hvac work. ask if they have any scrap units removed for upgrade that might have a good fan.
    b marler

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    baubau has a good point too, think about your neighbors and other outdoor items. you don't want to expose someone to the toxic fumes. keep safety in mind whatever you do. i use an old air handler from a furnace to pressurize my "booth" and have a bunch of furnace filters on the exhaust wall. it really works well and captures all the overspray that would be released outside. you could probably get a fan like mine from a company that does hvac work. ask if they have any scrap units removed for upgrade that might have a good fan.
    Neighbors not an issue. That sounds like a big fan drawing amps. Not much service to garage, my compressor will blow a fuse occasionally.

Neighbors not an issue. That sounds like a big fan drawing amps. Not much service to garage, my compressor will blow a fuse occasionally.
    If you're going to paint a lot it can pay to make the garage/shop perform properly but if it's a one or two job effort you can usually make due with what you've got.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    If you're going to paint a lot it can pay to make the garage/shop perform properly but if it's a one or two job effort you can usually make due with what you've got.
    I'm not painting a lot. Just to keep overspray to a minimum in the garage.